Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I've been trying to get a basic Wine setup on my FC3 system for the last few days using winetools and I've hit a number of stumbling blocks. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trouble with winetools

Hey all,
    I've been trying to get a basic Wine setup on my FC3 system for the last few days using winetools and I've hit a number of stumbling blocks. Basically I want install both Windows Media Player and Quicktime on my system using Wine. However, when I try to run the Internet Explorer part of the base section the program simply halts. Here's the command line output from where it stops.

dependency dcom98.exe fulfilled
    using english setup...
    mv: cannot stat `/home/andrew/.wine/drive_c/windows/system/regsvr32.exe': No such file or directory
    Microsoft Internet Explorer.*
    regedit: Can't export. Registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Uninstall' does not exist!
    Success

grep: /home/andrew/.wine/installed.reg: No such file or directory
    grep: /home/andrew/.wine/installed.reg: No such file or directory
    rm: cannot remove `/home/andrew/.wine/installed.reg': No such file or directory
    software installation verified by /home/andrew/.wine/winetools.log
    WINEDLLOVERRIDES="" setarch i386 wine ./ie6setup.exe
    fixme:advapiecryptFileA "T:\\IXP013.TMP\\" 00000000
    waiting for wineservers to exit...
    fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_SimulateLoadingFromResourc eW Animated icons not correctly implemented! 0x7f970000
    fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_SimulateLoadingFromResourc eW icon entry found! 0x7f970000
    fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_SimulateLoadingFromResourc eW icon size ok. offset=0x7f970074
    fixme:setupapi:SETUPX_CreateStandardLDDs LDID_SRCPATH: what exactly do we have to do here ?
    fixme:richedit:RichEditANSIWndProc WM_SETFONT: stub
    I'm running the latest version of Wine, which I know is untested with winetools, but when I ran winetools with the recommended version of Wine I couldn't not get any of the necessary GUI unless I was running as root, something that the winetools website strongly cautions against. I'm also running the latest kernel.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get winetools working? Or any suggestions on how I can install Quicktime & Windows Media Player without it?

~Andrew S.

Just Joined!
    Were you able to fix this problem somehow? I seem to be running into the same exact problem

Just Joined!
    Nope, I haven't had a chance to play with it in a little while. Its almost finals time here at college, so studying is eating my life. I'll let you know if I come up with something though.

~Andrew S.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I also seem to be getting into a problem.
    winetools throws an error in relation to:

regedit: Can't export. Registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Uninstall' does not exist!

doesn't seem to be any information available through google about this.

EDIT: Seem to have resolved my own problem

it seems that although winetools seems to fail at each stage i do something (try an install dom98 / internet explorer etc.) if i press okay, wait for it to fail again, and then press okay again it seems to carry on .. have just installed dcom98 / arial fonts / internet explorer happily. now that those are installed i longer seem to have the error mentioned above.

was wondering if someone could help me with another error:

when setting up winetools initally (before installing ie/dcom) i got this message during the setup up of my fake c drive.

winepath: invalid option L "--new"

it did seem to continue past that eventually but i don't like it and can't find any reference to it through google.

any help would be appreciated. thx

Just Joined!
    edit: this page intentionally left blank