Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to get MS Visual Basic programs to work in Linux? I've tried throwing them at wine, but telling the terminal Code: Wine Nibbles.exe (it's a remake of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Avi
    Just Joined!

VB programs in WINE?

Is it possible to get MS Visual Basic programs to work in Linux?

I've tried throwing them at wine, but telling the terminal
    Code:

Wine Nibbles.exe
    (it's a remake of a QBasic program) results in an ouput of:

Code:

err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\mnt\\removable\\programs\\Nibbles.exe" failed, status c0000135
    Speaking to my brother (who writes these, and is something of a Windows geek) i've found that Windows relies on a few .dll files to run VB scripts. Would WINE be wanting these, or am i barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers people!

The closest thing I could find regarding VB and Linux was Gambas, which isn't a port but more like a re-implementation that claims some compatibility with Microsoft VB code. Is there any particular reason you want to do this? There are easier ways to create GUI applications in Linux (some like GTK will also work in MS Windows).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Avi
    Just Joined!
    There's no real reason i want to do this, i just wondered whether it was possible and/or easy to make them workable here until i learn to write myself, in a linux native language.

I'll have a look at Gambas, thanks.

Linux Newbie
    my best guess is that microsoft has some thing to make sure you cant install their products on linux. lol

Quote Originally Posted by *DEAD*
    my best guess is that microsoft has some thing to make sure you cant install their products on linux. lol
    They don't, AFAIK, but they certainly aren't going to make their products any easier to install on Linux.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Visual Basic Programs in Linux

I have been able to very successfully get Visual Basic programs to work in LInux, but they were all Windows-based, and my own programs. You can download my programs, which do work with wine, at www.timsprogrammingsite.bravehost.com I also used winetools to install wine. If you use the recommended version of wine, you can have some pretty amazing results!