Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using SuSE 9.3. I went to the terminal, and went to my cd path (as ROOT). typed in: wine setup.exe a window showed up with Windows XP..great! I click ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Windows setup.exe with WINE

I'm using SuSE 9.3.
    I went to the terminal, and went to my cd path (as ROOT). typed in:
    wine setup.exe

a window showed up with Windows XP..great! I click on Install Windows XP..it takes me to the installation screen for a few seconds and then goes back to the starting screen.
    And an error in my terminal appears:

fixme:seh:EXC_RtlRaiseException call (from 0x414143) to unimplemented function ntdll.dll.NtQuerySystemEnvironmentValue
    fixme:imm:ImmDisableIME (-1): stub

Help me. I want Windows back. Sounds crazy but I do!

How else can I install Windows? I put in the burnt copy in my cd rom but nothing shows up. I'm taken to the suse 9.3 startup screen. sigh.

Linux Newbie
    sorry to tell you this but wine runs windows programs not windows itself

if you want to install windows and still have linux, you can this is called dual booting and there are a few articles about this just use the search

if you don't want linux (can't imagine why but there are a few reasons) then but the cd in and reboot the machine, you will meet the windows installer and at some point it will ask to to format and/or repartion the drive (killing linux) if you don't get the installer you'll have to use a boot disk to run the cd

Just Joined!
    Usually I find it easier to install Windows first and THEN Linux. The reason for this is that Windows does not have a very good partitioning system and therfore just wants to erase Linux. (ha ha) So Install Windows first, (leaving space for Linux) then install Linux in the free space that I left for it. This technique has been working for me for years. I find it much easier than installing Linux before I install Windows. I hope this tip helps
    ~Dweeberkitty

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I would say something about how the poster is stupid right here, but I guess I was new too...

PUT WINDOWS CD IN DRIVE.

START UP COMPUTER.

CLICK ENTER A FEW TIMES.

ENTER 26,000-NUMBER CD-KEY.

CLICK ENTER A FEW MORE TIMES.

WAIT.

ENTER.

And there you have it, WINDOZE XP! All set and ready to get destroyed by viruses in the first 14.8 seconds your online.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by VashOnFS!
    I would say something about how the poster is stupid right here, but I guess I was new too...

PUT WINDOWS CD IN DRIVE.

START UP COMPUTER.

CLICK ENTER A FEW TIMES.

ENTER 26,000-NUMBER CD-KEY.

CLICK ENTER A FEW MORE TIMES.

WAIT.

ENTER.

And there you have it, WINDOZE XP! All set and ready to get destroyed by viruses in the first 14.8 seconds your online.
    rofl, its not in the first 14.8 seconds, windows xp now comes with virus's!

Just Joined!
    obviously you didnt read my post, moron. i said the CD doesnt show up.

You cannot install MS Windows with WINE. The program is used to run MS Windows applications in Linux, for instance if you wanted to run Solitaire.exe, you would do this:
    Code:
    wine Solitaire.exe
    You do not need to install the entire MS Windows operating system inside Linux to use WINE. Unlike emulators like VMWare or Win4Lin, WINE does not create a "virtual machine" that runs the entire OS, it just interprets the calls made by individual MS Windows applications into Linux-native commands, therefore making it a "compatibility layer" rather than an "emulator".
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants