Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wine seems to act like Win 95

Okay, here's the problem. When I try to install a program that is built for Windows 98/NT/2000/XP etc... It always returns an error something like this:

"Sorry such and such a program not compatible with Windows 95"

"Please install on newer operating system"

"Operating system not supported"

I am new to Wine and my question is: Why do any installers for a program built specifically for 98/NT/2000/XP appear to recognize it as a Win. 95 machine? Is there a fix for this? Currently I am running Bayanihan Linux 3.1 ([]) It is much like Fedora Core 3 and I always choose Fedora as my operating system to download the rpms and it always works. That's just a little bit about my OS. If someone knows how to fix this, can I please have some support? Thanks!

Well I am not sure if I can help fix the promblem, but you can setup wine for different windows versions and run diiferent windows software

Plain old WINE emulates Windoze 95.

WineX emulates Windows 98(?)

Cedega is an upgraded version of WineX.

4. $spacer_open
    London, England
    you can find out how to change the windows version here

also cedega is winex, they changed their name around version 4

Okay, thank you. I'll see if it works. I just downloaded Cedaga and I will install it and see if it works. Thanks again.

Yes!!! This is soooo Cooooool! Thanks for your help. I can't belive it was that easy. I'm now running games and all kinds of programs including Quicken 2005 etc... I live wine. Thanks so much for your support.