Find the answer to your Linux question:
as part of my continuing efforts to get my brother to use linux more i installed Warcraft III Frozen Throne with wine thanks to frankscorner.org. however i have a few ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Warcraft III

as part of my continuing efforts to get my brother to use linux more i installed Warcraft III Frozen Throne with wine thanks to frankscorner.org. however i have a few problems:
    1) start with something minor the cursor is in the form of a crosshair for some reason.
    2) when i try to play a campaign... well i can't. when i click campaign the screen loads up fine but there is nothing to continue.
    3) i can't go on battle.net. to remedy this i tried to download the patch manually and update it. all went off without a hitch but the game then refused to run. i have tried all the no-cd cracks from megagames (recommended in franks corner) and none of them work.

the most important thing is number 2 at the moment and i'm sure that if i look hard enough i will find a no-cd hack for the 1.18 version.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

i had that same problem hat ou did with the battlenet thing and updating. its realy anoing. but for canpaighn, well i can do that. i think all it is is that you need to that you rename the file with all the movies in it to soemething else in order to skip them.

you are running warcraftIII with the line

wine ./FrozenThrone -opengl

right
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

well it's
    Code:
    wine Frozen\ Throne -- -opengl
    i've also renamed the movies folder but to no avail.
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

wtf?
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

dunno, but it starts the game. check frankscorner.org it seems to help linux recognise spaces.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    well it's
    Code:
    i've also renamed the movies folder but to no avail.
    you should use this to run it:
    Code:
    wine Frozen\ Throne -opengl
    i also tried it as you typed it, but it ran with no opengl and ran extremely slow...as soon as i changed it, in ran perfect!

the problem is connecting to battle.net. i can't do it and the no CD patches i've tried don't work

k6
    Just Joined!
    damn i don't like this registering stuff :P

Anyways ... I got my bnet working under gentoo linux... it's not wine/linux problem... U have to have correct war patch...

So what did I do...
    I had working war 3 (currently 1.20a) under win and I copyied all of the exes to linux.

I patched war 3 under win with http://www.eurobattle.net/ patch.

my email is hkirsman attt gmail dotttt com (extra t's for the spam robots ) ) cuz I prob not coming back here.

Now I need to get campaigns to work.

Just Joined!

did u solve your cursor crosshair problem?

hey man..did u manage to solve your cursor crosshair problem? if so how? will greatly appreciate any help