Find the answer to your Linux question:
alright, i got get this out in the open first: i do not currently have wine running. i am running X-dsl and am having troubles getting wine runing but thats ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wine

alright, i got get this out in the open first: i do not currently have wine running. i am running X-dsl and am having troubles getting wine runing
    but thats not the point of this thread.

my main goal is to get a program called 'sonic' working, which is ( IMO ) some of the worst software ever. its a win app made for SONY mp3 players, and as far as i know its the only software that works. but, once again, thats besides the point.

i am wondering, to install win apps off of a cd into wine, am i going to have to create an iso image of the disk and then boot the image? they wont install from the disk, right? i am asking because if this is the case i was hoping someone could point me in the direction of an app to rip disks to .iso images (in linux, of course). that was the point of this thread.

danny_underscore

Re: wine

Quote Originally Posted by D_underscore
    i am wondering, to install win apps off of a cd into wine, am i going to have to create an iso image of the disk and then boot the image? they wont install from the disk, right?
    No, you don't have to make any ISOs or try to boot from non-bootable software discs in order to install things with WINE. Normally all you have to do is insert your program's install CD, go to the directory where the "INSTALL.EXE" or "SETUP.EXE" file is on your disc and run it using wine SETUP.EXE

i am asking because if this is the case i was hoping someone could point me in the direction of an app to rip disks to .iso images (in linux, of course). that was the point of this thread.
    Although you don't have to do this to run things with WINE, you might be able to make ISOs with K3B. I'm sure others will have their favorite application as well.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Re: wine

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    you don't have to make any ISOs or try to boot from non-bootable software discs in order to install things with WINE. Normally all you have to do is insert your program's install CD, go to the directory where the "INSTALL.EXE" or "SETUP.EXE" file is on your disc and run it using wine SETUP.EXE

now i just gota get wine working...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    type
    Code:
    wine
    in the shell. it sets up all the directories for you.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    type
    Code:
    wine
    in the shell. it sets up all the directories for you.
    yea but... umm... yea.. its a lil more complicated than that. for me at at least. dont wana get into it. thanks though

you're not referring to the program, are you?
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    you're not referring to the program, are you?
    nono. not that. see... the problem was that i am using an xbox port of DSL, and i was having troubles with wine. i got it working though. its all good.
    but i am having trouble with getting the disk i want mounted. its a win app called sonic used with sony mp3 players. every time i try to mount the disk i get a general 'drive not ready//media not readable//mounting app is in use' error.
    has anyone ever encountered errors with certain windoes cd's that were not recognized by linux ?