Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I followed this guide very closely to installing Steam. Everything went perfectly, I put the dll files in, etc. etc. now when I "update" Steam it gives me this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Having troubles installing Steam

Hello, I followed this guide very closely to installing Steam. Everything went perfectly, I put the dll files in, etc. etc. now when I "update" Steam it gives me this error about 27% through:
    Debug Assertion Failed

Program: Y:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe
    File: \p4clients \rel_beta\Projects\Common\Misc\Win32Registry.cpp
    Line 447

bCloseRet ==oL

(Press Retry to debug application - JIT debugging must be enabled)
    [Had to type by hand but it's pretty much all there].

I press "Retry" and it just terminates itself. I don't know what to do here and I'm starting to get frusterated.

JIT Debugging? I don't really get that.. is that maybe a separate DLL file I'm supposed to add here?
    Registered Linux user #393103

wow, same problem. i was using the cedega CVS though...
    different errors too...
    but mine froze at 27% as well. maybe there is a more windows specific task it performs at that point...

UPDATE: i installed the file Steaminstall_CS.exe and that installed and updated. it stopped at 27% but a new window was opened that finished the job. however that crashed as well saying it was unable to initialise a dll.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    wow, same problem. i was using the cedega CVS though...
    different errors too...
    but mine froze at 27% as well. maybe there is a more windows specific task it performs at that point...

UPDATE: i installed the file Steaminstall_CS.exe and that installed and updated. it stopped at 27% but a new window was opened that finished the job. however that crashed as well saying it was unable to initialise a dll.
    I see..

Where did you find the Steaminstall_CS.exe? I only found a SteamInstall.exe,
    Registered Linux user #393103

http://www.club-cs.com/download-Stea...ke--steam.html
    there ya go
    i haven't got it working though
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

strabes
    I am having the same problem as d38dm8nw81k1ng. It installs successfully, crashes at 27%, then the window pops up again and it finishes updating, but then it crashes and gives me this error when I try to run Steam.exe:

Steam.exe (main exception): Win32 StructuredException at 7C92B127 : Attempt to read from virtual address 0 without appropriate access rights.

This is pretty frustrating!! Can anyone please help!?!?! If I get this working I will definitely write a guide on my website because I certainly can't find a complete guide anywhere on the net.

that guide you linked to is now gone but the updated one (http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...=HOWTO%20Steam) mentions the 27% error and tells you to go here - http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...0Steam#crash26

Just Joined!

Steam has not text for login or action buttons after install.

So far i install steam and ran the application, but when it pulls up the gui i dont see text for the action buttons nor does it allow me to type in text for my username and password. Is this a core font issue or another issue that im unaware of?

Im currently running SuSe Linux 10.1 with steam v0.9.24.

Here is the screenshot of the issue: http://www.ix6tech.com/issue.jpg

Any help or resource links for this exact issue and fix would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

Just Joined!
    if you would google you would see you need the font tahoma. hitup google, i installed steam no problem with a little bit of googling. i have the same issue with the typing, i managed to get around it by right clicking on the field to activate it, after that just type as normal

Quote Originally Posted by ix6tech
    So far i install steam and ran the application, but when it pulls up the gui i dont see text for the action buttons nor does it allow me to type in text for my username and password. Is this a core font issue or another issue that im unaware of?

Im currently running SuSe Linux 10.1 with steam v0.9.24.

Here is the screenshot of the issue: http://www.ix6tech.com/issue.jpg

Any help or resource links for this exact issue and fix would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

Just Joined!

Lightbulb Found the issue.

I was doing some searching in Suse and verifying information in forums and multiple google searchs and the information i found versus what i had to do to fix the issue was way off key. Alas nonetheless i fixed the issue.

Here is how:

The first thing you will do is search for the font tahoma.ttf

Depending on your setup and configuration of SuSe Linux 10.1 if you ever run into a problem with text not showing up and you try find the c_drive folder and cant find it here is what you have to do. Open the green icon and do a search for fonts folder. This is a simple fix and takes way less time then trying to run commands if most corefonts are already installed.

Once you locate the fonts folders there will be one under the wine directory. In this directory you will copy the tahoma.ttf into this directory (Much like copying a .ttf file into your fonts in windows.).

This is what worked for me thus far. If anyone has any questions on using steam on SuSe 10.1 linux just let me know.

Chris

Just Joined!

i have same problem

Quote Originally Posted by George Harrison
    Hello, I followed this guide very closely to installing Steam. Everything went perfectly, I put the dll files in, etc. etc. now when I "update" Steam it gives me this error about 27% through:

[Had to type by hand but it's pretty much all there].

I press "Retry" and it just terminates itself. I don't know what to do here and I'm starting to get frusterated.

JIT Debugging? I don't really get that.. is that maybe a separate DLL file I'm supposed to add here?
    hi i have EXACTLY the same problem no what i did wroung im getting so frustrated if i get mine fixed i will tell you can you reply to me thank you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast