Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey guys, i just downloaded wine, i ran the rpm and it took forever to finish. but my problem is, i cant run the configure command, and i cant uninstall ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wine problems

hey guys, i just downloaded wine, i ran the rpm and it took forever to finish. but my problem is, i cant run the configure command, and i cant uninstall it either. i found the wine dir in the /usr/lib/wine directory. but i cant run the commands from there. what did i do wrong?

Just Joined!
    The best way is to install the winetools from www.winehq.com.

After you install winetools....

just run
    $ winetools

A GUI program will run through which you can easily configure wine....u need to install lot of things such as dcom98, other tools to configure wine.

After you finish it you can install IE also from winetools.

Just Joined!
    i am new to linux, so bare with me, i installed that package, and i found the wine dir under /usr/lib/wine. but the cmd $winetools doesnt work. what do i do now?

wine

If you need to uninstall the wine just

Code:
    rpm -e <pkg name>

wine

When i obtained wine i got it here as a rpm http://www.winehq.org/site/download-rh
    It then just run as it was part of the system,i did not need to configure ext its just go from the exe .

Just Joined!

Re: wine

Quote Originally Posted by mactabilis
    When i obtained wine i got it here as a rpm http://www.winehq.org/site/download-rh
    It then just run as it was part of the system,i did not need to configure ext its just go from the exe .
    So you didn't have to fiddle around with wine.conf ? OK, I installed wine as root user ( is this ok ?), but I cant seem to be able to locate the wine.conf file in ~/.wine/conf or /etc.

I cant locate the /documentation/samples folder as well in wine to find the sample wine.conf file and at this stage, not willing to take the risk to create my own config file for fear I will possibly screw up my wine installation.

what would be the best thing for me to do

fc4

No i just downloaded the rpm and installed it as root,i must of been lucky and got a wine rpm that didnot need dependencies, anyway i do not need to mess with any configureing ,As i use the kde desktop the wine dir was in my aplications menu so it has the files ive installed with it so the uninstalls are there when i need to get rid of the files ive downloaded,Also when i install the exe with wine i put them into my home dir or somthing'browse' then install into home,this way i no where there are so i can uninstall them.

Just Joined!

Re: fc4

Quote Originally Posted by mactabilis
    No i just downloaded the rpm and installed it as root,i must of been lucky and got a wine rpm that didnot need dependencies, anyway i do not need to mess with any configureing ,As i use the kde desktop the wine dir was in my aplications menu so it has the files ive installed with it so the uninstalls are there when i need to get rid of the files ive downloaded,Also when i install the exe with wine i put them into my home dir or somthing'browse' then install into home,this way i no where there are so i can uninstall them.
    Do you have the wine_config file even though u havent touched the settings ? If so, what version is this so I can consider possible alternatives ? thanks

wine

Wine 20050524,is the version i have.

Just Joined!

winecfg

Usually if you type in winecfg in any of your user accounts it will configure wine for that user in their directory. =)