Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just built a computer and slapped Linux : Xandros in there (mainly because it was considerably cheaper than winXP and windows is freaking gay :P but considering that ive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help me out, Videodrivers and such

I just built a computer and slapped Linux : Xandros in there (mainly because it was considerably cheaper than winXP and windows is freaking gay :P but considering that ive been working with the windows OS since i was 5 years old and working with linux for a day and a half now...im a bit lost

Mainly im trying to get Guildwars runninging on my computer and heres the history of my efforts to date.

-ignorantly tried popping the Guildwars Disc into computer (didnt work)

-Downloaded Crossover and tried installing Guild Wars through there.

-After many "unable to create File" errors the installer began to move and got to 40% complete before freezing

-cancelled download and retryed, hang still at 40% so i ejected disc and put the second disc in, the installation never completed but Crossover finished and i ran the Guild Wars.exe and got an update followed by a notification that my 3-D drivers needed updating

-attempted to Download Directx 9.0 c and install with Crossover (didnt seem to work)

-attempted to update Video Drivers from www,ati.com, and this is where my current problems begin:

I am faced with a choice between Linux x86_64 and Linux x86 (how do i know what i have?)

and after randomly selecting Linux x86, i click on the ATI Driver Installer and i dont get a program or file but a bunch of code
    ( http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/at...er-8.14.13.run )

I searched for wine (instead of crossover) but i couldnt seem to find a download.

and i know Direct X is a MS app. but Directx 9.0 C is required to run Guild Wars...

I apologize for the considerably long post, Thank you for any help that you can offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Heghmoh
    I am faced with a choice between Linux x86_64 and Linux x86 (how do i know what i have?)
    if you are running an Athlon 64\X2, or a new Pentium 6xx\D series processor, then go for the x86_64 drivers. However, if you are running a Pentium 4, Athlon XP, Sempron or any processor older or slower than these, you have an x86 based processor.

Instead of clicking on the ati driver link, right click and select "Save link as" or "Save target as", then follow directions on ati site for installing those drivers.

I don't know much about wine and wether DX is required, so that question is better left to some of the wine experts on this forum.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    again, i am a huge Linux newb...

step 1 states - # Launch the Terminal Application/Window and navigate to the ATI Proprietary Linux driver download.

so my question is... what is the Launch the Terminal Application/Window

??? ^^

The terminal is like the old dos prompt., on your start panel thingy, there should be an icon which looks like a computer or tv screen, this is the terminal. On some distros, if you right click on an empty area of the desktop, there should be a launch terminal option there. Otherwise there is a launch terminal option in the K-menu (Start menu equivalent).

Now, use cd to change to the place where you saved the driver, eg.
    Code:
    cd /home/AlexK/drivers/
    if it says to become root, type into a terminal:
    Code:
    su -
    su = switch user command, su - = become root

Just Joined!
    ok i found the terminal, i went to the file that the file was saved in by typing

Code:
     cd /home/hal/drivers/
    i then typed

Code:
    ./ati-driver-installer-8.14.13.run
    to launch the application...but the terminal told me

Code:
    bash: ./ati-driver-installer-8.14.13.run: Permission denied

now what? lol

I think that's a safety thing. CD to the correct directory and run
    Code:
    chmod 777 ./ati-driver-installer-8.14.13.run
    and then try to rerun it.

Just Joined!
    it worked ^^ ...but when the app loaded it informed me that i need to run the program as a super user...how do i log in as a super user?

like I said before, to become root ( = superuser in windows terms), type

Code:
    su -
    into a terminal and then once it asks for root password, enter it.

Just Joined!
    thanks a bunch i got it to work (with everyones help)^^

sadly i still dont have DX...so still no guild wars :P but hey atleast i updated my graphics drivers >.>