Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
hmm, well i went ahead with the second option. it just asked me about how i want stuff to "look and feel" and then i hit finish. now the next ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

hmm, well i went ahead with the second option. it just asked me about how i want stuff to "look and feel" and then i hit finish. now the next question is does wine just work from my terminal or do i access something from my application menu?
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules or else.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal // anarchism
    hmm, well i went ahead with the second option. it just asked me about how i want stuff to "look and feel" and then i hit finish. now the next question is does wine just work from my terminal or do i access something from my application menu?
    it's from the terminal i believe, but i'm sure there's a way to add the program to the application menu somehow. what gui are you using...kde, gnome, ...?

to run a program, you go to the directory that the program is in:
    Code:
    cd /dir/to/prog
    then type
    Code:
    wine program_name
    the shortcut would be a combination of these and would look something like this:
    Code:
    xterm -e "cd /dir/to/prog && wine program_name"
    "xterm -e" is so that it opens within a terminal and does whatever is within quotes from within that terminal

here's a great site for more information on running some programs and games in wine: http://www.frankscorner.org/

Linux Newbie
    it's from the terminal i believe, but i'm sure there's a way to add the program to the application menu somehow. what gui are you using...kde, gnome, ...?
    i use gnome i'd be easier if i just clicked into something in my application menu right? or is there really no difference, by the way, thanks for the help so far.
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules or else.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal // anarchism
    i use gnome i'd be easier if i just clicked into something in my application menu right? or is there really no difference, by the way, thanks for the help so far.
    glad i could help so far. this is where i would start getting lost, though. i haven't used gnome in a few months, so it would be difficult for me to help you make shortcuts in the menu. here's a link that i found that should help you make shortcuts in your gnome menu: http://www.gnome.org/learn/admin-gui...enustructure-4

making shortcuts is easier in the long run. you just click it and the program would open. it'll just take some time to initially set them up, but once that's done it'll be really easy.

just follow that one line that i showed you when you make your shortcuts: xterm -e "cd /dir/to/prog && wine program_name"

i'd recommend typing the part in quotes into a terminal first to see if it'll load correctly before going through all the rest of the steps. if it has any trouble loading, it could be because of how you typed the directory in.

for example...
    you said that your fake_windows is here: /home/max/.wine/fake_windows
    programs will be installed in a folder called "Program Files" within this fake_windows/linux folder. when you type it into a terminal or into the shortcut (same thing really), typing this "cd /home/max/.wine/fake_windows/Program Files/progdir/ && wine prog.exe" won't work because linux will see that as three commands, rather than the two that you want: "/home/max/.wine/fake_windows/Program" and "Files/progdir/" and "wine prog.exe".
    [sorry for not explaining earlier, but "&&" means that it will run the command that comes after "&&" immediately after finishing what comes before "&&". let's say you have a file in /home/max called run that you want to run: "cd /home/max/ && run" is the same as typing, in a terminal, "cd /home/max/", then typing "run" on the next line]
    you want to type it in like this so that it will read as one chain of commands, what you're looking for: cd /home/max/.wine/fake_windows/Program\ Files/progdir/ && wine prog.exe"
    ^that will then run two commands...the two that you want: "cd /home/max/.wine/fake_windows/Program\ Files/progdir/" and "wine prog.exe"
    everytime you come across a space you want to type "\ " instead when in the terminal. if the program's exe is "run program.exe" than you would type "run\ program.exe"

did it make sense? i complicated things a little, but it's to try to help you with a problem that you might run into when trying to run the program. if you'd like me to clarify something or explain something, i'd be glad to help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2