Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
so from Synaptic i got wine wine-doc wine-setuptk winetools wine-utils do i need all of those?.. anyway, when i go to terminal i put in Code: wine and i get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

wine and me

so from Synaptic i got
    wine
    wine-doc
    wine-setuptk
    winetools
    wine-utils

do i need all of those?..
    anyway, when i go to terminal i put in
    Code:
    wine
    and i get this window that opens up and gives me three choices, and one is wine configuration, so i get to one step that tells me something about selecting my windows partition, but i don't remember where that's at, or what i need to put in.
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules or else.

Linux Enthusiast

Re: wine and me

have you run "winesetuptk"? it's really easy to setup wine using that . took me a few wine installs before i learned about it...and, once i did, everything went pretty smoothly from there

Linux Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by josolanes
    have you run "winesetuptk"? it's really easy to setup wine using that . took me a few wine installs before i learned about it...and, once i did, everything went pretty smoothly from there

what's winesetupk look like?, as i said i put the command "wine" in and it brought me to this small window with those options and whatnot.

Linux Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal // anarchism

what's winesetupk look like?, as i said i put the command "wine" in and it brought me to this small window with those options and whatnot.
    winesetuptk is a gui interface to set up wine with. it starts off asking you what config file you want to edit, you press next and then you have a list of options you can change on the left side and the different options you have for each on the right. i liked using it...it's very easy.

does that sound like what you saw when you typed "wine"?

Linux Newbie

winesetuptk is a gui interface to set up wine with. it starts off asking you what config file you want to edit, you press next and then you have a list of options you can change on the left side and the different options you have for each on the right. i liked using it...it's very easy.

yeah some little screen with tux opening a wine bottle after i clicked "configure wine" the main questions is why does it ask for my windows partition and how do i figure out where it is?

Linux Enthusiast

yeah some little screen with tux opening a wine bottle after i clicked "configure wine" the main questions is why does it ask for my windows partition and how do i figure out where it is?
    yep...that's the same one

if it's the one under Advanced > Drives, then it should show several devices and paths that it wants. most likely, "C" will be your windows drive

it's there so wine can install the programs into a virtual windows drive (really just a folder in linux) so that the windows programs can "see" that you have windows installed. wine tricks the programs into believing that this folder is a real windows drive so they will install properly

As a reference, my windows drive part under Advanced > Drives looks like this:
    Code:
           Type                          Path                              Device
    C         HD             /home/josh/.wine/fake_windows

Linux Newbie
    hmm well i see 2 textboxes

use an existing windows partition:
    Other-
    [textbox]
    user: No User-

create a new windows partition
    and then in the textbox is this
    /home/max/.wine/fake_windows

do i go with the second one?

Linux Enthusiast

Other-
    [textbox]

i would use the second one. i've never used the first option, but it seems like you would be able to use it if you have an existing windows install (but, since it writes to it also, it probably couldn't be ntfs)

Linux Newbie

Other-
    [textbox]

i would use the second one. i've never used the first option, but it seems like you would be able to use it if you have an existing windows install (but, since it writes to it also, it probably couldn't be ntfs)
    right, but i DO have a windows install partition already

Linux Enthusiast

Other-
    [textbox]

right, but i DO have a windows install partition already
    hmm...do you know what kind of filesystem it is? if it's fat32 it should work fine . ntfs...i'm not sure how well it might work

back to the original question:
    i get to one step that tells me something about selecting my windows partition, but i don't remember where that's at, or what i need to put in.
    ok, to find out which partition is your windows partiton, do the following:
    Code:
    su
    password: (enter root password)
    fdisk -l
    (there will be a list of all of your partitions.  look for the one that looks like it may be your windows partition.  on the right it will say either FAT32 or NTFS or some other windows filesystem)
    ^^^keep this open....we'll need it later***

now, open another terminal and do the following to open up fstab, the file linux uses to store the information about partitions:
    Code:
    su
    password: (enter root password)
    nano -w /etc/fstab
    (this will open a text document within the terminal...this is where all of your mounted partition information goes)
    i'm going to assume that the filesystem is fat32, since i know this will work (if it's ntfs, i'd recommend using the second option instead of using the actual windows partition).
    add another line after all of the "/dev/xxx"'s. this line will read:
    Code:
    /dev/hda1   /mnt/windows    vfat    user,rw,exec    0 0
    but change /dev/hda1 to the one on the same line as your windows partition (refernce your other open terminal for this). and where it says "/mnt/windows"...you can change "windows" to whatever you'd like the windows partition to be called (avoid spaces)....so, if you'd like it called "win", you would put "/mnt/win" instead.

now save and exit the text file by doing the following steps:
    ctrl+x
    press "y"
    press "enter"
    it should have exitted the text file and brought you back to the terminal.

now type the following into the same terminal so you can create the directory that you'll mount your windows partition to:
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/windows
    this is assuming "windows" is what you wanted to call it.

to make sure everything went well up to here, type:
    Code:
    mount /mnt/windows
    ls /mnt/windows
    you should see the folders and things within your windows drive.

if you've been using all of these steps, than to tell wine where your real windows partition is you would input
    Code:
    /mnt/windows/
    as the place for your windows partition.

that should work for you as long as you use fat32. like i said, if you're using an ntfs filesystem, i would use the other option (the fake_windows folder instead) as i'm not sure that wine would be able to use it correctly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast