Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was absolutely amazed when I was able to install and play starcraft under the most recent version of wine with almost no difficulties. However I've run into two sound ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Starcraft sound on wine (underrun detection problem)

I was absolutely amazed when I was able to install and play starcraft under the most recent version of wine with almost no difficulties. However I've run into two sound issues. Sometimes when I run the game, I hear a persistent crackling/static accompanying the regular music and effects. When this doesn't happen, the sound is crystal clear, but it's as if the music is on fast forward (not in its pitch, just in that it skips).

The first problem I can live with, but for some reason today I've only encountered the second. It produces a repeating error message in console:
    Code:
    fixme&#58;dsound&#58;DSOUND_MixOne problem with underrun detection &#40;mixlen=1724 < primary_done=7480&#41;
    I'm using alsa as my sound driver, although sometimes the winecfg tool says that it can't open winealsa.drv when I click the configure button, and other times it says it successfully found it.

Also, I don't know why, but I have no configuration file in ~/.wine, so it won't be easy for me to tweak settings.

I have a VIA 8237 integrated card, alsa-1.0.6-8, and wine-20050628-0.1.
    \"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces.\" - Sluggy Freelance

sorry, i cant realy help with your question, but i did try playing starcraft on wine back in january. it was terrible, it was a 2001 computer and it was lagging playing the game. also the internet playability was all messed up. do you know if those have been fixed? when i did it, the sound worked fine. although i got error messages about something wrong with the audio, but nothing that seemed to affect gameplay.

-edit- you do not have a .wine config because they removed it as of the 6-24 release. its all winecfg now. apparently there are still some bugs to be worked out of it but you should be able to do everything in there.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Linux Newbie
    Lagging occurs in some instances of starcraft, but I can just exit and reopen the game to fix that. I haven't tried to use battle.net - I doubt it'd work that well - but I did play it over my local lan last night and had no problem connecting to a game hosted on one of my windows machines. (That's more than I can say for my dad's XP SP2 box, which refuses to communicate with our 98SE computers)

As for being able to do everything with winecfg, my reply is "Ha!" I have no more control over my audio than selecting which driver to use, as nothing else seems to be implemented. I don't know much about the old .wine file but I do remember that there were plenty of specific sound options in there that are apparently totally inaccessible now.
    \"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces.\" - Sluggy Freelance

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    well the way i see it the push to winecfg might have been a little premature. i never understood what was wrong with the .wine file. but whatever, they know about the problems and are trying to get it all fixed. my problem is though that what are they doing trying to get half life 2 working when they dont even have starcraft working properly.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA