Find the answer to your Linux question:
ali@linux:/windows/D/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Rise of Nations> wine nations.exe wine: creating configuration directory '/home/ali/.wine'... ln: creating symbolic link `/home/ali/.wine-keMuft/dosdevices/m:/usbdisk_1' to `/media/usbdisk_1': Permission denied wine: wineprefixcreate failed while creating '/home/ali/.wine'. ali@linux:/windows/D/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Rise ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Trouble with Wine!

ali@linux:/windows/D/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Rise of Nations> wine nations.exe
    wine: creating configuration directory '/home/ali/.wine'...
    ln: creating symbolic link `/home/ali/.wine-keMuft/dosdevices/m:/usbdisk_1' to `/media/usbdisk_1': Permission denied
    wine: wineprefixcreate failed while creating '/home/ali/.wine'.
    ali@linux:/windows/D/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Rise of Nations>
    What does this mean? I'm using the version of wine which comes with SuSe 9.3 and previously when I ran it I had no problems. But since then I have reinstalled SuSe 9.3. Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Registered Linux User #395492
    My blog: http://www.khooban.com/nucleus/?&blogid=2
    Desktop (Cassius) Pentium 4 1.5Ghz, 512MB SDRAM, 40, 60 and 80GB HardDisks, DVD/CDRW! Laptop (Copy) AMD Athlon XP 1.8Ghz, 448MB RAM, 64MB Radeon Graphics, 60GB HD, DVD/CDRW!

Linux Newbie
    ali@linux:~> wine
    wine: creating configuration directory '/home/ali/.wine'...
    ln: creating symbolic link `/home/ali/.wine-iRx1lD/dosdevices/m:/usbdisk_1' to `/media/usbdisk_1': File exists
    wine: wineprefixcreate failed while creating '/home/ali/.wine'.

each time /.wine is different. like /.wine-iRx1lD or /.wine-8cpZ1V etc.

I've installed a new rpm from the net but its still the same. Can someone please help?

Thanks!
    Desktop (Cassius) Pentium 4 1.5Ghz, 512MB SDRAM, 40, 60 and 80GB HardDisks, DVD/CDRW! Laptop (Copy) AMD Athlon XP 1.8Ghz, 448MB RAM, 64MB Radeon Graphics, 60GB HD, DVD/CDRW!

Linux Newbie
    Thought I'd try and create .wine for myself and it worked... kind of. Now what happens is that the three lines that I have made bold come no matter what I do,

ali@linux:~> mkdir .wine
    ali@linux:~> wine
    Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.
    Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system" is not accessible.
    Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/home/ali', starting in the Windows directory.

Wine 20050211
    Usage: wine PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS...] Run the specified program
    wine --help Display this help and exit
    wine --version Output version information and exit
    ali@linux:~>

and when I try and execute a program I get

ali@linux:/windows/D/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Rise of Nations> wine nations.exe
    Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.
    Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system" is not accessible.
    Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/windows/D/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Rise of Nations', starting in the Windows directory.
    wine: cannot open (null)
    ali@linux:/windows/D/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Rise of Nations>

the .wine folder in my home directory has a dosdevices folder and three files.
    1.sys.reg
    2.user.reg
    3.userdef.reg

I don't even know if anyone is still checking this thread. But any ideas?

Thanks for looking.

Linux Newbie
    DONE!!! While going over the error messages in my head I got an idea! And now wine is running perfectly!

Just Joined!
    Perhaps you could say what that idea was?

Linux Newbie
    Yes I could , but then you wouldn't be asking. Now since you have I've posted the whole thing on my blog. It's a two part story.

Just Joined!

solution posted

Unless one is logged in as a linuxforums user, they can't see your blog address (or any member's personal info). Requiring everyone to make an account to find your blog address (http://newbielinuxhowtos.blogspot.com/) merely to see if your solution is relevant is not very unhelpful.

Seeing as how you posted Part 1 from your blog here as a forum question, I'm posting Part 2 so that other forum members and visitors can find it in a search:

------------------------------------

No WINE!!! Part II : The Solution!

NOTE: Do not create the .wine folder in your home directory yourself. It is not the solution. If you have already created it then delete it before proceeding.

Checking the error messages again I saw the "usbdisk_1" message. I knew that no usb device was plugged in so I decided to check the /media folder (as root user). And there I saw all kinds of folders. Some were titles of certain DVDS I had seen. Some belonged to audio cds. All these folders were empty. And there was also a folder named usbdisk_1. I removed all the folders other than cdrom/cdrecorder, floppy, bmp_audio_cd, and xmms_audio_cd, and then I logged back into my normal user account and re-typed wine. This time it worked perfectly, giving the desired output :

Wine 20050211
    Usage: wine PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS...] Run the specified program
    wine --help Display this help and exit
    wine --version Output version information and exit

After this issue had been solved I tested wine on a couple of applications and everything worked perfectly. But I also found out that Rise of Nations does not work with wine 20050211. Maybe I will have better luck with a newer version.