Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm pretty new with linux and i'm trying to find an OS that will work with my laptop. i've found several that do most of what i want but i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wireless sees the Network but won't connect

I'm pretty new with linux and i'm trying to find an OS that will work with my laptop. i've found several that do most of what i want but i have 3 now that have the same issue. It supposedly recognizes my wireless card (Mini PCI Atheros) ath0 and it sees the wireless network but it won't pull an ip address. is there something i can do or reset. the one that seems to work the best has been XandrOS but i've also tried Ubuntu which works really well except i can't get it to play mp3's or dvd's. I've tried MEPIS and Kubuntu which allow me to connect (supposedly) but won't pull an ip or let me out on the net. Xandros is an enigma to me. I couldn't get it to work until i plugged in the wired connection and pulled an ip from that (i plugged it directly into my wireless router) then unplugged the wire. It worked fine even through Reboots. But when i brought it to work where i don't have the luxury of plugging into the router itself i can see the signal all day long but it won't connect. any ideas? My Laptop is the Dell Latitude C400 PIII 1.2 GHz 1GB RAM

Well I know for a fact that SuSE 9.3 supports and configures atheros cards out of the box (my laptop has a 5004G card).

can you paste the output of the following command:
    Code:
    iwconfig
    you need to be root to run this command, so first enter su to become root (or if you are using ubuntu/kubuntu, do a sudo iwconfig), then enter the command.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

maybe i'm just a moron

i got sick of those and downloaded Suse 9.3 and am installed it and iwconfig doesnt work as a command is there something different in suse

iwconfig should work as a command; what output are you getting when you try to run it?
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

If it's telling you that the command doesn't exist, try installing the "wireless-tools" package via YaST.

ugh

i'm still getting bash: iwconfig: command not found
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

i'm an idiot

ok i got the wireless working. now how to i update software to be able to play a dvd and i'll be set. i'll check other forums. thanks for your help.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Re: i'm an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by truoc444
    ok i got the wireless working. now how to i update software to be able to play a dvd and i'll be set. i'll check other forums. thanks for your help.
    download the 4 multimedia updates via Yast, as well as the libdvd thingo to play dvds.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

Atheros AAA connect

I did the same to search through several Linux opsys versions. Got my Atheros card to work running BackTrack 3, and PClinuxOS to connect an Acer Aspire One with no problem, even when setting up WAP security.