Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ok, here is a seemingly simple question. how can i get wine to work? i have been able to get one program to work, and unfortunately, it was notepad. i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

basic configuration in wine

ok, here is a seemingly simple question. how can i get wine to work? i have been able to get one program to work, and unfortunately, it was notepad. i have tried the command "wine program.exe", clicking on an executatble and choosing wine to run it... nothing works. how can i configure it to work?

Collin

Linux Engineer
    to get best wine performance you should have it set up with some other windows aplications such as dcom98 and corefonts etc.. you can do this by following my howto i wrote for installing internet explorer here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-52935.html

it also covers the installation of other nesacary apps. Is there anything in particular that you want to install?

EDIT: dont forget that you need to specify the full path to any windows aplication that you want to run like this (from the command line not as root):

Code:
    wine /path/to/windows/executable.exe

Just Joined!
    yea, i am run a couple big programs: vegas 4.0 (video editing), sonicstage (mp3 syncing), windows media player... and because suse linux doesnt support spm licensing, xsi 4.2 (3d modeling). thats pretty much everything off the top of my head...

Collin

Linux Engineer
    what is spm?

Linux Engineer
    isint htere a linux version of xsi 4.2? im pretty sure there is

Just Joined!
    yea, there is a linux version of xsi, and it comes right on the cd. the only problem is that it requires smp licensing in order to start up. what happens is that the program looks for a usb storage device. in it, is a liscence, and thru that license it get permission to start the program thru a web service. SUSE linux doesnt support this spm licensing. and i dont have samba set up quite yet. after i get it set up, ill use a winxp computer as the licensing computer. but for now, id like to run it off this computer.

Collin

Linux Engineer
    use blender3d :)

Just Joined!
    i havent had a real chance to mess around with it. is it a nice program?

i guess i am kind of jaded by the price... xsi had a hefty cost (students get it cheap tho!), and blender is free.

Whats this mean?

cj@linux:~> blender
    Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    ERROR: Unable to open Blender window

Collin

Linux Engineer
    it means you dont have 3d acceleration working properly on your computer. yes blender is really nice

Just Joined!
    its gonna take a while to get used to all the commands and stuff, but it looks like its got potential.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast