Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I just tried using Wine for the first time. Did an install of NHL 2006 Demo and went through the process fine but i got this message box ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

First Time Wine(er) Trouble

Hi all,

I just tried using Wine for the first time. Did an install of NHL 2006 Demo and went through the process fine but i got this message box when i tried to launch the program:

Your 3D accelerator card and/or your video card could not be initialized properly. Please update the driver for your 3D and/or video card. Contact your manufacturer to obtain the latest drivers.
    And also this output in the console:

Code:
    fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_SetRenderState (0x403f4ab8)->(206,0) unrecognized
    fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_SetRenderState (0x403f4ab8)->(207,2) unrecognized
    fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_SetRenderState (0x403f4ab8)->(208,1) unrecognized
    fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_SetRenderState (0x403f4ab8)->(209,1) unrecognized
    fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_GetCreationParameters (0x403f4ab8) : stub
    fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_GetDeviceCaps Caps support for directx9 is nonexistent at the moment!
    Is there anything that needs to be configured in Wine, or will this game just not work? Thanks for any help....

Relevent info: Suse 9.2 - Wine 20050725-0.1 - nVidia 5200 with Linux drivers installed

Linux Enthusiast
    You need an 3D accerelated graphics card, or if you have one, you just need to update the drivers

I actually do have a 3D accelerated graphics card, thats what surprised me the most by the error message. And i have the latest nVidia drivers installed through YAST. Any other suggestions?