Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was trying to install Red Alert 2 through wine but it does not seem to work. When I execute the Setup the Red Alert 2 install screen comes with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

RED ALERT 2

I was trying to install Red Alert 2 through wine but it does not seem to work. When I execute the Setup the Red Alert 2 install screen comes with a message saying that I need a newer version of COMCTL32.DLL and if I don't want it I should execute another exe file. I pressed cancel and then I got another message saying I need a newer version of OLEAUT32.DLL aswell if not then blah blah.

Anyway, I copied those two dlls from my window partition and put them in wine's window folder.

Again when I tried running Setup I got COULD NOT INITIALIZE DirectX.

I'm using wine 20050211.

Thanks for looking!
    Registered Linux User #395492
    My blog: http://www.khooban.com/nucleus/?&blogid=2
    Desktop (Cassius) Pentium 4 1.5Ghz, 512MB SDRAM, 40, 60 and 80GB HardDisks, DVD/CDRW! Laptop (Copy) AMD Athlon XP 1.8Ghz, 448MB RAM, 64MB Radeon Graphics, 60GB HD, DVD/CDRW!

Linux Enthusiast
    Ahh

DirectX isnt in WINE, AFAIK, it is in Cedega, so you can download a version of that for free I think, btw, Red alert 2 rocks :P

Linux Newbie
    Well I heard something about there being "some" DirectX support in wine. And I have heard many guys have successfully run RA2 through wine.

I'll keep checking google. Maybe I'll find something.

Thanks for your reply.
    Registered Linux User #395492
    My blog: http://www.khooban.com/nucleus/?&blogid=2
    Desktop (Cassius) Pentium 4 1.5Ghz, 512MB SDRAM, 40, 60 and 80GB HardDisks, DVD/CDRW! Laptop (Copy) AMD Athlon XP 1.8Ghz, 448MB RAM, 64MB Radeon Graphics, 60GB HD, DVD/CDRW!