Find the answer to your Linux question:
If I'm understanding correctly, I can use Wine to access applications (i.e. Photoshop) installed on a Windows partition so I don't have to reboot just to use a single application. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    FM
    Just Joined!

Photoshop scratchdisk is NTFS

If I'm understanding correctly, I can use Wine to access applications (i.e. Photoshop) installed on a Windows partition so I don't have to reboot just to use a single application. If I'm wrong, you may stop reading now. :P I have Photoshop installed under WinXP on a partition that is formatted NTFS, and Photoshop is pointed to NTFS formatted partitions for both primary and secondary scratch disks (temporary disk space used when RAM is insufficient, as for working with large files). If I am running Photoshop that resides on a Windows partition from Linux, will it try to write to the NTFS scratch disks--which I'd think it can't because NTFS is read only--or will Wine make it write the temporary stuff somewhere on my Linux partition...or is Wine an entirely different animal that won't cause any "read-only" problems at all? If it does try to write to the NTFS partitions, could it cause any damage and mess up the Windows installation it took forever to tweak into something reasonably secure? I can't just install Photoshop in a fake Windows directory on the Linux partition because it's CS (v. 8.0) and uses product activation that does not work under Wine.

Linux Newbie
    Wine will create .wine folder in your home directory where it will store application data and config files for the applications that you will lunch with wine. It will recreate some system folders (Program Files, Windows) under .wine directory and will use it as workspace for IO routines. Due to your NTFS partition is mounted read only by default, making any changes to that partition is restricted on the very low level, so launching programs from NTFS partition will not cause any harm.

FM
    Just Joined!
    Excellent--thank you!