Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Aloha, After reading through the Forums I saw the blurb about Cedega. I went to the website to check it out. Is it really that good? I like Diablo, Diablo ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Cedega

Aloha,
    After reading through the Forums I saw the blurb about Cedega. I went to the website to check it out. Is it really that good? I like Diablo, Diablo II and LOD also I got Dungeon Lords. It showed them all in the Games Database. I have an Nvidia card and to date have been unsuccessful in installing the updated driver for it. I am working that on the nv news forum at this point but really what I want to know is, is Cedega worth the subscription? I also like MW4 Mercs with all the Clan/IS Packs. The other thing I posted about was running IE on Linux. Wine seemed like the right choice. Anyone use it? How does it work? Thanks for the input. I am doing my best to free myself of MS. One day at a time.
    Mahalo,
    Edward
    GNU/Linux is a powerful Free OS. Fear is a powerful motivator. Freedom is sweet. Fear GNU/Linux. Savor Freedom.

You'll get a lot of opinions about Cedega, but my personal feeling is that it is well worth the cost of admission. I am a subscriber, and it is evident to me that the boys at Transgaming work extremely hard to produce a really good product that takes most of the guesswork out of running Windows games under Wine. There is the free version though...

Out of curiosity... Why on earth are you continuing to use IE? I would think that would be the first thing you'd want to get shed of on your way to becoming Windows free. Firefox is a much better browser regardless of O.S.. Have you tried it?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Linux Newbie

IE

Aloha,
    Thanks for the reply. The reason I asked about IE is because my bank doesn't seem to work with Firefox at all. The choices are IE and Netscape and only on Windows apparently. I am going to write my bank and express my concern and ask them to accomodate me. But until then it seems I will be stuck with IE. So I was wondering about laoding wine and getting IE to work for that reason only. I do have firefox loaded and am very satisfied with its performance. My objective is to be completely away from windows within one year from my last boot into it. Yes, I am weird, I keep track of when I boot into windows. I am very methodical about Linux this time around as I truly desire to support it and get away from Windows. Plus with the notes I make to myself in my Journal I can show my freinds that it is possible to convert to Linux. This is going longer than I expected but that's ok. LOL Thanks for the input. I will look at the free version.
    Mahalo,
    Edward
    GNU/Linux is a powerful Free OS. Fear is a powerful motivator. Freedom is sweet. Fear GNU/Linux. Savor Freedom.

I know what you mean about the banking thing, I have the same problem with mine. You can't get any joy using Netscape? I too let my bank know they need to accomodate Firefox users under Linux and Windows. Have yu tried konqueror web browser? I haven't used it but there is an option with it that makes it appear to be IE. Maybe someone who knows more about this can tell both of us how this works.

If you must use IE, I think it 's possible to get it working under Wine. Tell you what, just for fun, I'm gonna see how it runs with Cedega. I'll post back my, "findings."

Linux Enthusiast
    Do you guys really think you can get the bank to listen to you? They have to spend money to redo the website and make it linux friendly. They won't want to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    Do you guys really think you can get the bank to listen to you? They have to spend money to redo the website and make it linux friendly. They won't want to do this.
    I'm not asking them to make their site, "Linux friendly," I'm asking them to make it Firefox friendly. I doubt any institution, banking or otherwise will change its business practices based on a few request, however, if enough folks DO ask them to change, maybe they will. I'd rather be proactive and spend the few minutes it takes to ask them rather than throw up my hands and assume they never will.

Linux Engineer
    under user profiles in firefox you can select IE as well, with mixed results, some ie only websites and apps will work fine, some will not, the same is true with opera...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    under user profiles in firefox you can select IE as well, with mixed results, some ie only websites and apps will work fine, some will not, the same is true with opera...
    I didn't know that, thanks!

Linux Newbie

User Profiles and My Bank

Aloha,
    My bank is usually pretty receptive to suggestions from it's members so in that case I may be able to get them to fo it. But not trying at all would not be a resolution for me. As for User Options, where are they and how do I set the IE thing? This is great. This is why I love this forum. I am hoping this works and I don't have to use IE at all. I have tried Konqueror and several other browsers, epiphany and the like. But none seem to work correctly on that page. Thanks for the help.
    Mahalo,
    Edward

Linux Newbie

Solved

Aloha,
    I got IE6 running on wine with wine tools running and can now bank in Fedora!
    Mahalo,
    Edward

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast