Find the answer to your Linux question:
I may have missed an earlier post on this topic, as I've been on holiday recently, but a search suggests that no-one has yet celebrated Wine's escape from alpha to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wine 0.9

I may have missed an earlier post on this topic, as I've been on holiday recently, but a search suggests that no-one has yet celebrated Wine's escape from alpha to beta.
    So I will instead:
    YAY - WINE 0.9. For more than a decade this great development has been 6 months from beta, but no more!

:rock: :rock:

Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Yeah I heard that the other day, I was pretty happy about it. I hear there are some good new features too. I might install it later this week.

yeah wine is cool. i installed football manager 2006 demo on a vanilla wine from portage. didn't touch the config file. only problem is the widely documented "crap pitch". but that's not a huge problem
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    So Wine went from Aplha to Beta, so it must be getting really good then

now mabye we lill start to see some official documentation, instead of the spars amount of little help guides that are only valid for a specific few realeases of wine. not to mention how they were all little hacky things that relied on using windows 98 fukes from the microsoft website. now mabye we will hae a better chance at a completely microsoft free implementation of a microsoft enviorment... wait... that aint alll that great in itself. but oh well, as long as we can play games on it.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Linux Enthusiast
    I didn't know wine lacked documentation

it has some but it leaves you wondering "well, how do i play starcraft?"
    and then you go to some other website and there like "this is for some wine version back in 2002" and then your all like "well i have version blah blah 2005" and there like "well, try it anyway" and you try it but then you find out that you didnt have to do half of it but you do have to do some other stuff and it doesnt work with the latest version of wine but it works with the one two versions back. so tthen you try playing it and its all like "hey, im only going at 10 fps" and then your like "well, thats not good" and its all like "well too bad" and then you just give up on it.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA