Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ANyone here has gotten wine to work with windows aim, msn, or yahoo?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wine & Windows Instant Messaging Apps?

ANyone here has gotten wine to work with windows aim, msn, or yahoo?

I tried to run MSN messenger before for a friend and didn't get very far but I believe it can be done. I'm not sure about AIM but Yahoo have a linux client available anyway. And from what I've seen there is far less system hogging in the linux version than the windows version.

If you are thinking of running these for their webcam aspect the new gaim release has reintegrated the gaim-vv code which allows for web broadcasts. I find both gaim and kopete to be very capable, but if you want another alternative that is cross platform and more like MSN Messenger have a look at mercury messenger. It is java based.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    I tried to run MSN messenger before for a friend and didn't get very far but I believe it can be done. I'm not sure about AIM but Yahoo have a linux client available anyway. And from what I've seen there is far less system hogging in the linux version than the windows version.

If you are thinking of running these for their webcam aspect the new gaim release has reintegrated the gaim-vv code which allows for web broadcasts. I find both gaim and kopete to be very capable, but if you want another alternative that is cross platform and more like MSN Messenger have a look at mercury messenger. It is java based.
    THanks.. well I found gaim to lack a lot of things I want and the direct connect stuff especially is hell

Yeah it's true that it lacks a lot in some areas. Are you referring to the file transfer functionality? It seems to be fixed in the last two releases. I've had very speedy transfers. All respect to gaim in that respect - they work hard to fix what's lacking.

Yeah it's true that it lacks a lot in some areas. Are you referring to the file transfer functionality? It seems to be fixed in the last two releases. I've had very speedy transfers. All respect to gaim in that respect - they work hard to fix what's lacking.
    Yea that, direct-connect, file transfer, and other things .. Linux is just not ready for that yet

Quote Originally Posted by RobNyc
    Yea that, direct-connect, file transfer, and other things .. Linux is just not ready for that yet
    Perhaps you could qualify that statement? Do you mean "The GAIM messenger doesn't have that functionality yet" or "My distribution of Linux doesn't have that ability yet"? Saying "linux isn't ready..." is considered a near obscenity on forums like this.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by RobNyc
    really? if you have the right ports open everything works, your just ignorant...

Direct Connect in GAIM doesn't work.

Direct Connect doesn't work for me either, it won't establish a connection. It sucks because I use it alot, and I only use AIM, so no real need for GAIM..I'd like to see either AIM on Linux or GAIM with direct connections.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by oosterhouse
    Direct Connect doesn't work for me either, it won't establish a connection. It sucks because I use it alot, and I only use AIM, so no real need for GAIM..I'd like to see either AIM on Linux or GAIM with direct connections.
    what exactly is the point of direct connecting, its always seemed a little silly imho

Linux User
    i thought you said it DIDNT work

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast