Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
There is no dependancy handling package management and all configuration is done by hand. That is why Slackware is known as having a higher learning curve. Bryan...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

There is no dependancy handling package management and all configuration is done by hand. That is why Slackware is known as having a higher learning curve.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

I still think its the best distro ive used so far, next im going for gentoo =D. Installing stuff is as easy as installpkg packagename.tgz or slapt-get. Anyway, i installed the one from linuxpackages and the one from winehq, does that mean i have 2 of them installed at once?

If you didn't remove the other one, then yes. What happens if you try to run wine? Do you get the working version?

Also, as a side note, might I suggest Arch Linux if you have an i686 architecture based computer. You get an apt-get like package manager (pacman) and it is i686 optimized. It is also very hands on like Slackware. I have seen many references that Arch is like a cross between Slackware and Gentoo.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Yes, when i run wine from terminal i get the wokimg version of it. I have tested it with only 1 windows executable file that simple has a

Code:
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <stdlib.h>
    int main&#40;&#41;
    &#123;
    printf&#40;"Hello"&#41;;
    system&#40;"pause"&#41;;
    return 0;
    &#125;
    and it worked fine, i haven't tested it with anything apart from that yet. The man pages on wine are from the working version, i might try arch linux when i get a spare hd to install random stuff on

An easy way to 'see' if, how many and where packages are installed is kpackage. I use it every time I install packages from Linuxpackages.net or anywhere else. It should be in you KDE menu. If not, go as regular user...
    Code:
    kpackage
    As far as changing, I know Gentoo is all the rage right now, but installation takes forever and a day, even with a high speed connection, and installing packages take a long time too. I've used Gentoo with the very latest 2.6 kernel and I see little if any difference in speed over Slackware. My experience has been that Slackware is much harder to break than Gentoo, or any other distro for that matter.

Slackware is solid and just works. I'd keep it.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

I will never get rid of my slack, ive spend so long getting it to work how i like it . I just want to try gentoo to see if i can do it. i've already got the cd's downloaded. a stage3 one so i dont have to download stuff =). ill try kpackage later im not on my comp now.

Quote Originally Posted by Game master pro
    I will never get rid of my slack, ive spend so long getting it to work how i like it .
    Glad to hear it! About Gentoo, and other distros, it's always good to be kept aware of the many choices Linux has to offer.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2