Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im lost for answers, I tried editing files to show the path to the device but it still dossent work and i continue to get messages that the programs i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do i get wine to use my cd drive?

Im lost for answers, I tried editing files to show the path to the device but it still dossent work and i continue to get messages that the programs i installed need the CD to work and so on and so forth what can be done mabie im doing it wrong could someone tell me how

Linux Enthusiast
    I am kinda of unclear on what you are saying and what CD are you talking about

Just Joined!
    well due to copyright stuff some games require the CD to be in the drive to play them. I installed them with wine and they seem to work fine as far as i can tell. Such as Starcraft, XIII and heros of might and magic 3

i ran winecfg and pointed D:\ to /dev/hda and /media/cdrecorder nether work i still get the message that it needs the cd to be in the drive

wine and gaming first of all is very rough you should check of cedega or more importantly native linux games or just use windows to game. But as far as wine and cd drives this is a problem many people have I finally solved it by doing this.

http://www.mrbass.org/linux/ubuntu/dvdshrink/

this is a guide to getting dvdshrink and dvddecrypter to work under wine but the instructions are relevant for getting access to your cd/dvd drive. The important points are editing config file and making symbolic link. Hope this helps. Also, I did all this the first time and did not work then updated to newest version of wine and it did work. So if all else fails try CVS or newest release.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    winesetuptk thats what did it no sound tho.. i know wine is not an emulator... only reson i posted this thread, the only reson i tried to install starcraft from the get go is i heard it worked for others

winesetuptk!!

Just Joined!
    i solved the sound problem by changing the accseleration from hardware to emulation is winecfg

glad it worked for you
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL