Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ok so i have wine installed and i run config and w/e than i do $ wine itunes.exe (from the folder on my windows drive with itunes on it) and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

working wine with itunes

ok so i have wine installed and i run config and w/e than i do

$ wine itunes.exe

(from the folder on my windows drive with itunes on it) and i get a whole bunch of **** i dont understand and than i get a blank command line. am i doing somthing wrong?

i tryed reading the docs on the winehq site but its hard to understand and its not verry detailed... does anyone know any in depth looks at wine or can tell me some basic **** to get me working itunes. thanks.

are you in the right directory? post the errors you get

Just Joined!
    Hah yeah, eh? Post the error.
    Besides, I doubt itunes is compatible in wine. I've tried without success too.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Apparently you can get it to work like that :
    http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=itunes6
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!

winecfg - and general install things

I gave winecfg a go - as per the franks corner link above. Just to save others time: winecfg latest version is 2003 (so old, and maybe not up to date, but it seems to work), to get it: google for it - it's a sourceforge project.....untar and copy the windows files to your wine c_drive.

Anyway, franks corner also says to set itunes to be a virtual desktop.....this isn't possible with winecfg (or at least, if it is, then it's hidden in some obscure corner).

The final result of the franks corner itunes install is that i have itunes and quicktime installed, but when running itunes, i get a message that my quicktime version isn't up to date enough to run itunes - i have version 7.0d0 (so says the error message - this was the version of quicktime installed under wine with the latest itunessetup.exe). Incidentally, the same quicktime install under pure windows is version 7.1 something.

Has anyone got itunes working under wine ? Any tips please ? WineHQ apps db says that one person has itunes up under ubuntu, but I am ubuntu, and a straight install under wine fails - the quicktime installer never finishes its install.

Thanks for whatever tips are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jrleighton
    Anyway, franks corner also says to set itunes to be a virtual desktop.....this isn't possible with winecfg (or at least, if it is, then it's hidden in some obscure corner).
    In the "Graphics" section of "winecfg" you can place a checkmark for "Emulate a Virtual Desktop".

About installing iTunes though, I haven't tryed it, as I can't find any use for it. If you have Ubuntu 6.06, Banshee should do the trick.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    In winecfg any ideas how to config itunes to run as a virtual desktop ? I have virtual desktop enabled at the resolution in franks corner (see posts above), but franks corner later says to enable itunes specifically to run as a virtual desktop. Maybe I'm missing something here - but how to specify itunes to specifically run as a virtual desktop. Perhaps it's a moot point, as with virtual desktop enabled, every app is virtual desktop ebabled.

Anyone any ideas pls on this point ? Sorry if I am being dim.

The reason I want itunes on linux is to use the music sharing function. On my LAN I have windows boxes which are sharing their music libraries, so I want to read those libraries and play the files on my linux box. That's it. No ipod, or any other itunes functions. If there's something else I can use on linux to do this, then great. (perhaps I should add that this sharing function is something the current itunes does anyway on a LAN, so there's nothing I am wanting here that itunes doesn't do already, like sharing over the net.....just for the avoidance of doubt )

Again, any suggestions from those wiser than myself ?

Thanks to all for their help

__________________________________________________ __

Update: ok - after a little more research, it seems like what I want is Digital Audio Access Protocol. For others with interest in doing what I am doing, there's a list of enabled clients on the Wikipedia entry for the said protocol, including Banshee suggested above by the very helpful user:antidrugue. Not sure which one, if any, works - am testing. If sucessful, will post here. Answer: I went with Rhythmbox...it detected my itunes music library (on a win32xp box) without any prompting.

Just Joined!
    I got iTunes 6.04 isntalled on WINE .9.18

The problem that I am running into (aside from not being able to burn anything)
    is that I can not access the music store whatsoever.

Linux ver:Ubuntu 6.06LTS Dapper

I followed the instructions outlined on the site mentioned above. I also used the howto's on the Crossover Office site.

because quicktime doesn't actually install from the iTunes installer, you have to go to c:/windows/downloaded installations/<value>/quicktimeinstaller.exe and run using WINE. This will get quicktime installed.

The userenv.dll suggestion I saw on the Crossover Office site as well, but said to put it under windows/system rather than system32. I put it in both just to be sure. It runs, and plays music, but be prepared to kill the process every now and again. Don't be patient with it, go to system monitor and kill itunes.exe and then try to start it again.

you got a guide to install that itunes using wine? And apple must make the music store available to linux users, or else it will never work.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue
    If you have Ubuntu 6.06, Banshee should do the trick.
    I'm using banshee on SUSE and it interfaces with my ipod, but itunes purchased music won't play. is there a way around this (and please no one say don't purchase music from itunes).

thx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast