Find the answer to your Linux question:
Whenever I open Wines configuration and edit the drives...like assign where the C: drive is...and save it, it doesn't save. When I open again, I find that the drives are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine Config fails to save drives

Whenever I open Wines configuration and edit the drives...like assign where the C: drive is...and save it, it doesn't save. When I open again, I find that the drives are all gone

what command are you using?

is it winecfg because this is the new command to use with newest versions of wine.

second you can create symbolic links in ~/.wine/dosdevices/

just do this as root: ln -s /dev/hda1 c:
    if for example hda1 was where windows was installed
    or something like
    ln -s /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 d:
    if this is where your cdrom is installed
    you can find this out by going to /etc/fstab

I was just thinking. What are you doing assigning the c: drive. Wine creates its own fake c drive. it is usually
    ~./wine/drive_c/

this is where wine installs windows programs as if it was the c: drive. You won't be able to access the actual c: drive without some other programs because of file system differences.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    Wine doesn't assign a C drive automaticly on mine. And yes I am running winecfg. The problem is whatever I assign to C, wine claims after i click apply then OK and run it again, that I havent assigned anything to it.
    Im running on Fedora Core 4 (not dual boot)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    have you just run the command wine itself because I think this automatically creates the /home/user/.wine/drive_c directory?

if this isn't working then I would reinstall wine
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL