Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Debian Unstable ATI-Radeon 9800 pro Xorg 1.) I only have this problem after switchign to debian. 2.) Every version of wine does this to me from 0.9.1 to 0.9.6, from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Newer Games Won't Run?

Debian Unstable
    ATI-Radeon 9800 pro
    Xorg

1.) I only have this problem after switchign to debian.
    2.) Every version of wine does this to me from 0.9.1 to 0.9.6, from debian repository, wine website, or compiled from source.
    3.) Video Drivers are Installed and working.
    4.) Quake 2 runs no problem
    5.) Quake 3 Sound works, but video is left corrupted
    6.) Doom 3 seems to freeze at the "initializing menus" screen.
    7.) American McGee's Alice crashes wont run at all.
    8.) Quake 4 Doesn't run at all
    9.) heres a screenshot of Quake 3: www.geocities.com/zeroth404/snapshot3.png

Quake 3 Dump: (I can access the menu and quit with ESC, 'Q', 'Y')
    Code:
    fixme:keyboard:RegisterHotKey ((nil),0,0x00000001,9): stub
    fixme:ddraw:Main_DirectDraw_SetCooperativeLevel (0x4038e3a8)->((nil),00000008)
    fixme:keyboard:UnregisterHotKey ((nil),0): stub
    Wine exited with a successful status
    Doom 3 Dump: (I have to kill wine to get out of this one.)
    Code:
    fixme:process:SetProcessWorkingSetSize (0xffffffff,201326592,1073741824): stub - harmless
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {4590f811-1d3a-11d0-891f-00aa004b2e24} not registered
    err:ole:create_server class {4590f811-1d3a-11d0-891f-00aa004b2e24} not registered
    fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no classfactory created for CLSID {4590f811-1d3a-11d0-891f-00aa004b2e24}, hres is 0x80040154
    fixme:ntdll:RtlNtStatusToDosErrorNoTeb no mapping for 40000025
    Alice Dump: (Doesn't run at all)
    Code:
    err:module:import_dll Library ntoskrnl.exe (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\drivers\\SECDRV.SYS") not found
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\drivers\\SECDRV.SYS" failed, status c0000135
    err:module:import_dll Library ntoskrnl.exe (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\drivers\\SECDRV.SYS") not found
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\drivers\\SECDRV.SYS" failed, status c0000135
    Wine failed with return code 1
    Quake 4 Dum: (Doesn't run at all)
    Code:
    FATAL: fglX11FreeBuffer: firegl_FreeBuffer() failed!
    Wine failed with return code 1
    Help : - (

Doom and Quake have native linux versions, why run them in wine?

Just do a search at http://www.google.com/linux, and it brings up many how-to's.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven
    Doom and Quake have native linux versions, why run them in wine?

Just do a search at http://www.google.com/linux, and it brings up many how-to's.
    The issue is not gettign the games to run. The issue is getting Wine to run thigns correctly.

There won't be linux ports for every Doom3-based game, such as Prey for example, and I'd like to be able to run them. If I cant run Doom 3, I'm not going to be able to run Prey.

Also, Unreal and UT wont run. I cant get Steam to work at the moment because its on an NTFS partition (no write access) so I can't test it..

I just want wine running correctly.

I run UT2k4 natively, so I don't know about running it in wine.

I do run steam through cedega though, because running it in wine was a PITA. You have to run it in a virtual desktop, and it just annoyed me. Runs flawless in Cedega though.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Newbie
    I run UT2k4 natively, so I don't know about running it in wine.

I do run steam through cedega though, because running it in wine was a PITA. You have to run it in a virtual desktop, and it just annoyed me. Runs flawless in Cedega though.
    I'm talking about Unreal Tournament 1999

I'll try running these games in a virtual desktop and see what happens.

I used to use cedega. I got sick of trying to find places to download it that didnt want you to pay them. I shot off an email to Transgaming requesting the source code, but they ahven't replied. Its not on their website either, I think this qualifies as a GNU GPL Violation.

Linux Newbie
    I just had a thought: maybe its some graphics library that wine uses?

heres a screenshot of Quake 3: www.geocities.com/zeroth404/snapshot3.png

Actually, you can get the source from CVS and compile it to work, but I hear it needs some tweaking to even compile. I hear it is broken on purpose, but you never know.

It is worth the $5 a month to me to occasionally play HL2 and some other pop-cap games because I don't mind supporting something that I can use and works for me.

I do like wine though. Have you tried winetools? That way you get the mozilla active X control and all that.
    http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/index.html
    Very nice software, and it helped my wine install very well. I actually got Steam installed and running, I just hated the virtual desktop.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Newbie
    Actually, you can get the source from CVS and compile it to work, but I hear it needs some tweaking to even compile. I hear it is broken on purpose, but you never know.

It is worth the $5 a month to me to occasionally play HL2 and some other pop-cap games because I don't mind supporting something that I can use and works for me.

I do like wine though. Have you tried winetools? That way you get the mozilla active X control and all that.
    http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/index.html
    Very nice software, and it helped my wine install very well. I actually got Steam installed and running, I just hated the virtual desktop.

how dare you utter the word "Active X"

I've tried wine tools, if thats the same thing called "winetools" available from the debian package repository.

I'm going to install Gentoo for now and hopefully wine will work on that. I hear Gentoo has more packages and better dependancy support than Debian anyway, and I've seen a lot of packages on Gentoos repository that I didnt see in Debian.

I'm still open for suggestions until I instal gentoo

I think that winetools package that I posted is updated from the one in the debian repositories. Not sure though, as I use gentoo.

I can't think of anything else for you though, that usually fixes my problems.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Newbie
    I'm running gentoo now.

I have hte EXACT smae problem as before.

this is really starting to irritate me. ATI driver problem? wouldn't doubt.

Please advise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast