Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hey guys, i'm quite new to linux and so far i've been loving it. over the past few weeks i've been learning quite a lot, even editing my own xorg ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Smile Installing Call of Duty2

hey guys,

i'm quite new to linux and so far i've been loving it. over the past few weeks i've been learning quite a lot, even editing my own xorg file! propably nothing great for the linux savvy ppl, but i was just another windows user, not used to any kind of manual configurations.

anyhow, i chose vectorlinux as my distro (slackware based). my only problem is, and seems to be with many new linux users, is the lack of game support. i did some reserch and found out about wine and was realy delighted to see that my favourite games such as call of duty 2 can run on linux. after battling to get wine installed on my machine, i have no idea where to go from here. i know wine is installed because thereis an icon of it in my k-menu.

i'de realy appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction to get call of duty 2 installed on my system.

cya

I'm not sure specifically about call of duty 2 but wine is usually not the best method for gaming support. Cedega is a pay program that is basically like wine but specifically designed for games. I would check that out. But wine is easy to use. All you do is wine nameofexe.exe

so you would open the call of duty 2 installer and try running wine pathtocddrive/installer.exe

hope this helps.

It is my experience that trying to run windows games on linux is a lot of effort and if you have a windows disc / or install on your computer just play the games on windows and do everything else on linux.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

thanx for the fast reply! i'l give it a try.

aboutcedega, i've checked it out, but i'l try the free stuuf first, befoure having to pay

about windows, i'd just like to forget it, even if it means having to sacrifice some of my favourite games...

when i ran the command i got this:

http://clientes.netvisao.pt/alynnsut/snapshot2.png

i have no idea what it means

anyway, i guess that call of duty2 is still too recent to run smoothly on linux, so, i'm trying the old one, and so far so good :

http://clientes.netvisao.pt/alynnsut/cod1.png

that eror is something wrong with your X server. It looks like you don't direct rendering enabled is this true:

you can find out with this command:

Code:
    glxinfo | grep rendering
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

hm, i have a dilema:

i get to the end of the first cd instalation of call of duty1, and when i try to open the drive, it doesnt respon, so i cant place the 2nd cd in.
    if i close the console window, the instalation exits

any sugestions

ps: direct rendiring is off, how can i enable it

well what kind of video card do you have?

i have an ATI Radeon 9250 256mb ram agp

you can either use the opensource drivers provided by the x11-drm project (I think thats the name) it is called radeon. Or you can use the ati proprietary drivers provided by ati

here is an excellent wiki that is based on gentoo but the same principles apply:

http://odin.prohosting.com/wedge01/g...adeon-faq.html

ok, i got the ati linux drivers working.

but when the installer runs, it halts and i get this error:

http://clientes.netvisao.pt/alynnsut/ss2.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast