Find the answer to your Linux question:
Youve all probably seen a bunch of people ask this stuff but im looking for a free version of Wine being WineX im assuming...and how to install and use it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

WineX

Youve all probably seen a bunch of people ask this stuff but im looking for a free version of Wine being WineX im assuming...and how to install and use it and where ot find a legitimate download of the RPM and any tips on using it

if you can give me a link and instructions on this it would help a great deal...im currently running mandrake 9.0 but im reloading mandriva 2006 tonight so i need a version for mandriva 2006...thank you

Joe

p.s. im a newbie to Linux and GNU/Unix

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by xvolcom
    Youve all probably seen a bunch of people ask this stuff but im looking for a free version of Wine being WineX im assuming...and how to install and use it and where ot find a legitimate download of the RPM and any tips on using it
    Huh? Wine is free. Cedega (formerly known as WineX) is not free at all.

Which one you get depends on whether you want to run Windows games that use copy protection involving the game CD. Cedega differs from wine mainly in their support of this copy protection.
    For most other things, wine works at least as well, and has no subscription fee.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    tAK
    Just Joined!
    actually, a short time back, Cedega (formerly WineX) were, and i think still are releasing there CVS of cedega...

its apparently a prick of a thing to compile, but there are some guides out there to doing it, and it also doesnt come with Point To Play (the software which makes things a lot easier to configure etc)

what games are you going to want to play? as Wine actually supports some of the more low end games, mainly RTS/2D games... and i THINK.. it may support older versions of CS... (i know for a fact that you can play Diablo 2 in it which is enough for me)

even Cedega has issues with some games, there site does have a list of games supported with SSs of many games running... and the list is rather long.

if you want to know what cedega is like, go and get the cedega time demo it is a 14 day trial or something like that, which allows you full access to the program for testing.... and if you like it, go ahead and pay them there dues... $5 USD a month aint tooo bad.

/tAK