Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok, trying to install Return to Castle Wolfenstein using Wine. Everything goes great until it asks for CD2, the CD drive won't open. I got smart, umounted the CD drive, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine won't give me CD 1 back!!

Ok, trying to install Return to Castle Wolfenstein using Wine. Everything goes great until it asks for CD2, the CD drive won't open. I got smart, umounted the CD drive, opened it, inserted disc 2, mounted it and clicked OK but it fails to read a file and the install process stops. Now what??

Just Joined!
    Ok, Wine is the most horrible software I've used in my life. I've tried everything, searched everywhere and I still can't find a solution to my problem. I discovered that even if I umount the drive, open it, insert disc 2, mount the drive, that I cannot see any files on the disc. "wishing I had Wine on a CD so I could break it!!!" lol

Wine does lock the drive sometimes, it's not an easy thing to get around. I know that cedega/P2P has a workaround for this but you are into subscription land there. Are you using winetools? It makes these installs a bit easier but I cannot remember if there is a drive lock workaround.

Banned
    Why not try in another terminal the eject command.

Just as root

eject /dev/[device name here]

eg

eject /dev/hdd

That's something I hae tried often - the downside is that it may be difficult to get the drive to mount the disc afterwards. I have a had a few issues with that before.
    Last edited by bigtomrodney; 02-24-2006 at 08:31 AM.

Banned
    Would mounting the drive back to the location not fix the issue?

Out of curiosity, why not run the native Linux client?
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!
    Well, I open the launch.exe file from the cd using the command "wine /media/dvd/launch.exe" which opens the install menu for the game. I click install and go through all of that, tell it where I want it to install and all. CD1 installs and it asks for CD2, the drive won't open. So, I open a terminal and as su I eject it, and close it, mount it, and that's the point where everything goes wrong b/c it won't read the disc. I tried the native Linux client, it says it doesn't support libc for x86 64, so, that won't work. I'm at my wit's end with this game!! lol

ok, here's what i've tried: rip all the CDs to isos (this link tells you how). then you mount the first one, run wine, then when it asks for more CDs, mount them over the original one. if possible, try and umount them when the files are done installing. you should now have RTCW installed if you are lucky.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!
    I honestly don't understand what you just said. I get the iso part, you mean make an iso image of the disc on my hd right?? Run the install from the hd instead of the disc?? Mount what over the original?? I don't get it.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast