Find the answer to your Linux question:
I created a 'netsetup.exe' file with Windows to try and network my WinXP machine with FC4 but FC4 refuses to offer to run it. I have to choose an application ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How To Run An .EXE using Wine

I created a 'netsetup.exe' file with Windows to try and network my WinXP machine with FC4 but FC4 refuses to offer to run it. I have to choose an application to run it *with*. Furthermore, it refuses to acknowledge the files present via the terminal - "floppy/netsetup.exe" gets "no such file or directory" which is a blatant _lie_!!

Linux Newbie
    .exe is a windows format executable, to run it you will need to install Wine. But if you're setting up network connections and such, there should be graphical tools to allow you in Fedora

Just Joined!

wine can help U!!!

download "wine " software from www.winehq.com it can help U

I strongly suggest you take a step back and try to explain why you need to run a windows executable on a Linux system. Sure, you can run it with wine, but there's a strong liklihood that won't let you do what you want. Running under wine will only have relevance while that particular wine session is running. Define what you expect by "networking" - you want to share files? Devices? There's already systems out there, like samba, to let you do that.

DT

Just Joined!
    I tried running a network application from the system tools menu; it asked for my root password which I gave and then did nothing and I never heard from it again. Right now the computer has crashed with the mouse cursor as four black arrows pointing up down left and right. It doesn't respond to Cntrl Alt Delete but the cursor does move with the mouse. I don't know how to continue. Will the Wine installation I made this session be damaged by not shutting down properly? I have no programs open on the taskbar (or whatever it's called). This all happened because I deleted an icon from the panel at the top, it left an empty space (I'd have expected the icons to the right to move into its place) which I promptly clicked on (made sence at the time). Then a Gnome Dictionary opened so I pressed Alt F4 and now I'm stuck.

Will I get Samba to cooperate with WinXP? In know Bill Gates wouldn't like the thought of me trying to connect to something other than another Win machine.

More steps back. First off, understand that wine is not in any way "wired" into the linux installation - by that I mean you don't run apps in wine to setup your Linux networking. Literally, when you type "wine foobar.exe" that program will run, and might deposit stuff within a directory called $HOME/.wine, but then the moment you quit that job, wine is not running anymore. Wine is designed to let you run some windows apps on linux, nothing more.

You need to get Samba working, but it sounds like you're going to have some difficulty - you're talking about toolbars and the dictionary, CtlAltDel, all sorts of things but nothing to do with Samba. You need to focus, slow down, and not expect it to automatically know what you're trying to do. Read up a little on setting up Samba in the distro you're running, and from the perspective of how different operating systems talk to each other. I really don't think you should be using wine at all for what you're trying to do.

Depending on the linux distro you're running, this can be somewhat difficult, or easy as pie. Just going through the documentation, or typing "set up samba in <my distro>" into google will get you a long way.

DT