Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed Wine on a Debian system using the Debian package: apt-get install wine When I try to configure Wine, it tells me that the program winecfg is missing. Yet, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine Problem Under Debian

I installed Wine on a Debian system using the Debian package:
    apt-get install wine

When I try to configure Wine, it tells me that the program winecfg is missing. Yet, according to the installation instructions at WineHQ, the installation of the Wine package is supposed to install the program winecfg.

Am I missing something or is the package buggy?

I got that same problem when I installed wine in Mepis. It turns out winecfg is in the wine-utils package, but that package hasn't been updated to the same version of wine that's available in the wine and libwine packages. So this leaves you with two options:
    1. Downgrade wine and libwine to the same version as wine-utils, and install wine-utils.
    2. Install from source.

I've actually been installing from source for some time now. It works better for me, and it's really very easy to do. You just have to remember to keep the source on your system so you can uninstall each time before you upgrade.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!
    Zelmo,

Thanks for the information. I hadn't realized that there was a separate package called wine-utils. I installed the second package, which appears to be working. I was not able to discern that there was an incompatibility between the packaged wine and the packaged wine-utils.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Lightbulb

You don't have to install from source to have an up to date Wine. I download the .deb packages with my browser from http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/ and then install with `dpkg -i *.deb`.