Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I've been using Wine 9.0.1. and WineTools on PCLinux to try and install a program called MarkBook 2005 from Asylum Software (it's gradekeeping software for teachers). I've been ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MarkBook 2005: Wine install issues

Hi everyone,

I've been using Wine 9.0.1. and WineTools on PCLinux to try and install a program called MarkBook 2005 from Asylum Software (it's gradekeeping software for teachers). I've been fighting with Wine and WT for the past day to get it installed. Basically, what happens is that I can get the install CD to run via the command line, both the program's and the Windows installers open no problem, and completes the install "no problem". Then, when I go to use the program, the desktop icon is not what it should look like and the file extension is '.ink'. When I go to the actual MarkBook folder, I can't get any of the .exe files to run because of issues with the threed32.ocx file being missing or corrupted.

I've basically spent the last day configuring Wine to accept different (relevant ) DLL files, trying different versions of Windows, and installing/uninstalling/installing the program to see if it makes a difference (it never does). I also tried using Crossover Office but even that didn't work. Also, I can't even begin to tell you how many times I used Google and how many websites I visited to find answers. I also followed all the steps in the WineHQ's troubleshooting guide.

I'm almost at my wits' end here, so if anyone has any suggestions for me, I'd be very grateful for them. Also, I'd like to offer my apologies in advance if the solution ends up being ridiculously simple.

Thanks in advance,

Noob98

Just Joined!

A new message, re: Markbook install

So, I've been messing around with the DLL's a bit more, and now I get this message when I try to use the autorun.exe file:

[max_power@localhost ~]$ wine ~/MkBk2005/autorun.exe
    Loading required GL library /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2
    fixme:ntdll:NtConnectPort (0x5b2a1170,L"\\ThemeApiPort",0x7fd7fbd8,(nil),(ni l),(nil),0x7fd7fbe8,0x7fd7fbe4),stub!
    fixme:ntdll:NtRequestWaitReplyPort (0xffffffff,0x7fd7fc70,0x7fd7fc3,stub!
    DbgPrint says: IpHlpDllEntry: This an NT product.
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk "iphlpapi.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"E:\\MkBk2005\\autorun.exe" failed, status c0000142

I've tired to find the iphlpapi.dll, but from my research it says that the correct one I need comes form the Win98 install CD (which I don't have). Also, I have no idea what the "fixme" messages mean, and Google searches have turned up zip.

Thanks again in advance to anyone who can help.

Just Joined!

Anymore ?

I am also interested in getting Markbook running under wine too and have also encountered the problem with the file threed32.ocx. Have you had anymore success lately?
    Regards

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

yes...and no!

Hi keverpever,

Well, good news and bad... I switched to Fedora 5 (I really like this new distro, BTW), so I tried again with MarkBook. The good news is that the threed32.ocx problem seems to have gone away- I can actually install MB with Wine and get into MB with Wine and do all of the stuff I would normally do in Windows... except that there seems to be glitches with saving entries, such as when I want to enter or update a mark, or edit anything. So, the program is still essentially useless, although at least now I can open it and see what's in there. I stll fiddle around with MB on my Fedora OS when I have the time, but, as I'm sure you know, this is a crazy time of year for us, so I haven't made much progress. If anything changes I'll definetly post the results.

In the meantime, good luck to you- I hope you're able to get MB up and running soon!
    Take it easy!

Just Joined!

MarkBook 2006/2007 possible web app

I sent an e-mail to Asylum Software asking about the possibility of a Markbook for Linux. Their reply was that they are developing an application that uses a webbrowser and that it will be for next year. This would eliminate having to suppor multipule OS and just use a webbrowser to use markbook.
    Regards

Just Joined!

great news!

That's great news! I hope by the term 'next year', they mean the 2006-07 school year, as opposed to 2007-08. Oh well- guess we'll just have to sit back and wait!

Thanks for the update. Hope your end of year is going well!

Noob