Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I've a strange problem with installing Google Earth. When I enter the command line "wine googleearth.exe" nothing happens. After 2-3 seconds I get the command on the bash back ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Problems installing Google Earth

Hi!

I've a strange problem with installing Google Earth. When I enter the command line "wine googleearth.exe" nothing happens. After 2-3 seconds I get the command on the bash back again. A debug shows a lot of warnings (as always) but no errors. Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong? I'm using wine 0.9.12, freshly compiled under Kubuntu Breezy Badger. Had the problem with previous versions, too.

Here's some debug stuff (not everything):

dreamy@evergreen:~/Desktop$ WINEDEBUG=warn+all wine GoogleEarth.exe
    warn:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"Z:\\home\\dreamy\\Desktop\\GoogleEarth.exe": /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/z:/home/dreamy/Desktop/GoogleEarth.exe: invalid ELF header
    warn:module:load_builtin_dll cannot open .so lib for builtin L"GoogleEarth.exe": /usr/local/lib/wine/googleearth.exe.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"VERSION.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/z:/home/dreamy/Desktop
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"VERSION.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/z:/home/dreamy/Desktop
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"VERSION.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"VERSION.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"VERSION.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"VERSION.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"VERSION.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"lz32.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/z:/home/dreamy/Desktop
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"lz32.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/z:/home/dreamy/Desktop
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"lz32.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"lz32.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"lz32.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"lz32.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"lz32.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"USER32.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/z:/home/dreamy/Desktop
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"USER32.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/z:/home/dreamy/Desktop
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"USER32.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"USER32.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"USER32.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"USER32.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"USER32.dll" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows

[...]

warn:file:CreateFileW Unable to create file L"C:\\windows\\temp\\bye5f3.tmp\\Disk1\\engine32.c ab" (status c0000034)
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"setup.ibt" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/bye5f3.tmp/Disk1
    warn:ntdll:NtCreateFile L"\\??\\C:\\windows\\temp\\bye5f3.tmp\\Disk1\\setu p.ibt" not found (c0000034)
    warn:file:CreateFileW Unable to create file L"C:\\windows\\temp\\bye5f3.tmp\\Disk1\\setup.i bt" (status c0000034)
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"setup.boot" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/bye5f3.tmp/Disk1
    warn:ntdll:NtCreateFile L"\\??\\C:\\windows\\temp\\bye5f3.tmp\\Disk1\\setu p.boot" not found (c0000034)
    warn:file:CreateFileW Unable to create file L"C:\\windows\\temp\\bye5f3.tmp\\Disk1\\setup.boot " (status c0000034)
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"_isdelet.ini" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp
    warn:ntdll:NtCreateFile L"\\??\\C:\\windows\\temp\\_isdelet.ini" not found (c0000034)
    warn:file:CreateFileW Unable to create file L"C:\\windows\\temp\\_isdelet.ini" (status c0000034)
    warnrofile:PROFILE_Open profile file L"C:\\windows\\temp\\_isdelet.ini" not found
    warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"_isdelet.ini" not found in /home/dreamy/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp
    warn:ntdll:NtCreateFile L"\\??\\C:\\windows\\temp\\_isdelet.ini" not found (c0000034)
    warn:file:CreateFileW Unable to create file L"C:\\windows\\temp\\_isdelet.ini" (status c0000034)

Any help is highly appreciated!

Did you configure wine properly with
    Code:
    winecfg
    ?

Have you successfully installed any other programs in Wine? (this "wine", on this machine)
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Yes I did set up Wine with the help winecfg and I successfully installed DCOM98. I have this problem with Google Earth only. Maybe the problem is because they changed something in the latest version of Google Earth?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Did you set up wine to emulate:
    win98?
    winnt?
    win2000?
    winxp?
    others?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Plus, have you tryed to install Google Earth with "WineTools"?
    http://www.winehq.com/site/download

Apparently most Ubuntu users do it that way.

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    I run Wine in winxp mode.
    I downloaded winetools and installed all the necessary software with it (dcom, fonts, ie6, ...) but it's still the same problem (actually I think the winetools are pretty much out of date).

So the problem continues to exist...

Myself I use the Windows 2000 mode, because I had problems with DVD Shrink on wine configured for Windows XP mimic.

Sorry, you will have to wait for someone else to help, I don't know much about wine.

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!

Solved

I solved the problem. The downloaded file was corrupt!!!

oh dear....

Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue
    Did you set up wine to emulate:
    win98?
    winnt?
    win2000?
    winxp?
    others?
    how do i do this???

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by beanzapper
    how do i do this???