Find the answer to your Linux question:
So far I've been able to run most of the programs I've tried, which is very promising, however most games seem to run at a low framerate. These aren't very ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Jerky Graphics

So far I've been able to run most of the programs I've tried, which is very promising, however most games seem to run at a low framerate. These aren't very graphically intensive games, either. I'm using a 1GHz with 8Mb video memory, and the games I'm testing (GeneRally, for example) fly along on a 200MHz with a 2Mb graphics card in native Win98.

The game logic seems to run at full speed, it just behaves as if there's not enough video memory. Nothing in winecfg or regedit seems to have any effect.

Any ideas? Thankye muchly.

I'm actually amazed you're getting the performance you are. WINE and Cedega really are a shot in the dark as far as whether they'll work well (or work at all) on each individual's hardware. As for your performance problems...I'm not sure you can do much about them aside from beefing up your display card. WINE is always going to give slightly worse performance than native applications in my experience.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Aye, it's starting to look like there's not a lot that can be done about this. This sets back my mission of using Linux as a direct replacement for Windows on my older machines, since Windows gaming is an integral part of their use.

I'd rather not dual-boot, since the idea is to remove Windows entirely, and setting up a Windows virtual machine is equally antagonistic since it still involves either piracy or paying for a license.

*sigh* Damn Windows, making everything complicated.

I'll keep searching anyway. Are there any tweaks at all that come to mind which may improve performance? I'm willing to try anything. There's a patch I was referred to at the IRC channel, but am yet to try, which does something like modifying the way DDraw works in WINE. Hopefully that might prove beneficial.

Well, if you're not particularly concerned with *free as in no charge*, Transgaming's Cedega is a specialized piece of software based on WINE that is designed specifically to run games. It *might* work better for you than plain WINE. There's a demo available.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants