Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running a generic AMD box, with an older ATI 128 card and SUSE 10.0 I have managed to run a few basic programs like notepad and winzip under wine, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

General Display issue

I'm running a generic AMD box, with an older ATI 128 card and SUSE 10.0

I have managed to run a few basic programs like notepad and winzip under wine, as practice, but all of them including winecfg appear distorted. In winecfg text appears stretched vertical almost to the point that it can not be read and in WinZip parts of the GUI are missing or displayed in an awkward way preventing me from being able to use the program.

Is this how winecfg is normally displayed?
    Is it this common for programs to have display problems?

It sounds like it might be a font problem. Did you install the MS core fonts? If not, wine tools is a pretty good package for setting that up, among other useful things.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!
    Thankz that helped alot. I Do not see any promlems with txt anymore but some of the icon graphics inside the program still look a lil off. Allso after I instaled the core fonts, and the rest of the things on the list, wine slowed down to a crawl. When I click on a simple button it takes a few secconds before the efect of the click can be seen. In adition the windows are slow to show content and refresh. The rest of Linux is uneffected.

Should I have not instaled all of the other options fromwine tools?

It's probably a good idea to just install the items that are in the Base Setup, and only add other things as necessary. I think WineTools gives you the option to uninstall stuff, so you can try removing a few things and see what difference it makes.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!