Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have compiled Wine 0.9.12 from source, but have come across something strange. The ../lib/wine directory is almost 250 MB. My build environment is Knoppix 3.4 - I use this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems compiling from source

I have compiled Wine 0.9.12 from source, but have come across something strange. The ../lib/wine directory is almost 250 MB. My build environment is Knoppix 3.4 - I use this from compiling software for Damn Small Linux. The installation works well (as well as wine does anyways), but I'm stumped as to why this directory is so big.

Huh, now that you mention it, my /usr/local/lib/wine is also that big (241.3MB in my case). It looks like it's mostly full of shared objects, so I guess it takes a lot of space to keep all the DLLs for every version of Windows that wine implements.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!

New to SUSE Please Help

Hello all I downloaded SUSE 10 but I have three problems.

1. Sound
    2. Videos
    3. Frozen mouse

I successfully installed SUSE 10 with KDE and the sound was working.
    But after a day or two it stopped.
    YAST couldnt fix it.
    So I reinstalled SUSE 10 with Gnome and the sound was working.
    But after first restart it stopped working.
    YAST couldnt fix it.
    I would love to get rid of XP but SUSE is not reliable.
    My USB Microsoft mouse stops responding and I have to restart to get it back.
    Also I cannot play videos or dvds. I downloaded the RPMs and used Yast to install it.
    But still no go.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Zelmo - I visited the WineHQ IRC after posting this, and a user said to strip the binaries. As root go to ../lib/wine directory - run the command "strip -x *" in that directory. I don't quite understand the command, but it condensed 250MB down to about 30MB (very quickly at that). Anyways, wine itself it still fully functional.