Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi I heard, MS Office applications with CrossOver should run more stable than under MS Windows ? is it true ? greetings cc...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    cc
    Linux Newbie

MS Office with CrossOver more stable than under MS Windows ?

hi

I heard, MS Office applications with CrossOver should run more stable
    than under MS Windows ?
    is it true ?

greetings
    cc

well, if you take the fact that linux is more stable than windows then possible
    nah, it depends on the quality of crossover office, which i can't comment on, but i've known CS to run faster under wine than in windows, so it's possible.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

I didn't do *extensive* testing the last time I ran Office in Xandros (using Crossover Office), but it didn't give me any problems. Honestly the last time I used Office in XP I had no stability problems whatsoever, so it's kind of hard for me to compare "stability" when neither is really "unstable" at all.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Thinking about it logically, it couldn't possibly be true. Microsoft Office is going to be just as stable either way round - the same code is being executed in both instances. And if you execute it on an environment that is essentially a reverse-engineered copy of the Windows platform API's, you're likely to introduce a level of instability, the size of which is impossible to measure, but will certainly be there.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    Thinking about it logically, it couldn't possibly be true. Microsoft Office is going to be just as stable either way round - the same code is being executed in both instances. And if you execute it on an environment that is essentially a reverse-engineered copy of the Windows platform API's, you're likely to introduce a level of instability, the size of which is impossible to measure, but will certainly be there.
    I have to agree. Software running on its intended platform should always (at least in theory) run more stable than software running on something else via third-party code.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants