Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by antidrugue Probably it has something to do with the way you mounted your Windows drive. Which filesystem is it? FAT32? NTFS? As for your graphic card, what's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue
    Probably it has something to do with the way you mounted your Windows drive. Which filesystem is it? FAT32? NTFS?

As for your graphic card, what's the exact model of it?

For NVIDIA cards, personnaly I like techieMoe's how-to:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...d-drivers.html

Or there is this one (which I haven't tryed), Suse specific:
    http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-...ler-HOWTO.html

For ATI cards, there is this how-to:
    http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/ati-installer-HOWTO.html

Or this one:
    http://linux.wordpress.com/2006/05/1...-installation/
    Well no need to worry about the nvidia I already used novells way of installing the nvidia drivers it was painless.. As for windows it is HPFS/NTFS *what it said at setup* and when I was in SuSe setup, it already mounted it for me. So I was like no sweat.
    I am so close to getting games running, I can execute .exe from cd's but the installer crashes or does not run *no errors in Konsole to indcate the problem* because of the profiles problem.
    Oh yeah I like linux already.
    Spinning 3d cube Desktop FTW!!!! *FOR THE WIN*

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Professor
    I am so close to getting games running, I can execute .exe from cd's but the installer crashes or does not run *no errors in Konsole to indcate the problem* because of the profiles problem.
    Just out of curiosity, what game(s) are you trying to install using WINE? Have you considered using a version specifically tailored for games, such as Cedega? It's not free, but there's a demo available.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Just out of curiosity, what game(s) are you trying to install using WINE? Have you considered using a version specifically tailored for games, such as Cedega? It's not free, but there's a demo available.
    Basically BF2, DOD:S, Earth2160 and my fav HALO, like I said I'm just experimenting, and I am trying to make it work. But if it fails back to windows. I know Cedega is a Windows API Emu for Linux, but I don't want to dump money into something that may not even work. Not only that, but cedega is WINEX which is a variant of WINE So in all sense is to go with WINE and make that work.
    Yeah I've done alot of research here and there, while in my quest to learn linux is to find an alternative to windows for my games. If it doesn't work, no sweat I'll just have to live with it..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Basically BF2, DOD:S, Earth2160 and my fav HALO, like I said I'm just experimenting, and I am trying to make it work. But if it fails back to windows. I know Cedega is a Windows API Emu for Linux, but I don't want to dump money into something that may not even work.
    I understand that. Many of us here dual-boot just for games.

Not only that, but cedega is WINEX which is a variant of WINE So in all sense is to go with WINE and make that work.
    Well, you're partially correct. Transgaming did originally take a fork of the WINE code to use as the basis for Cedega, but since then they have developed their product quite independently from the WINE project, and as such are not interchangeable. Transgaming has also licensed the ability to work with copy-protected games, which is something that WINE will never have due to the nature of the project. I have had mixed results with Cedega myself though, so I understand your hesitation.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Well I went to yast, to partitioner, and edit the windows partition and uncheck mount read only. Then I rebooted linux and I got the option to paste file, but still I get an access denid error. I check the permissions and it said view and modify content. so How do I write to the windows partition????

Please I beg any of you to help me.

Well I went to yast, to partitioner, and edit the windows partition and uncheck mount read only. Then I rebooted linux and I got the option to paste file, but still I get an access denid error. I check the permissions and it said view and modify content. so How do I write to the windows partition????

Please I beg any of you to help me.
    Whoa! Back up there. Writing to an NTFS partition in Linux is very experimental and therefore not at all recommended. You could seriously screw up your Windows partition if you go any further. If you need read/write access to a drive from both OSes, I suggest creating a FAT32 partition or installing a tool to read EXT2FS on the MS Windows side.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Yop, techieMoe is right, change it to FAT32, or else just go in Windows and manualy copy your Wine profile (the /windows/root thing you talked about), then try it again in Suse.

FAT32 read/write support in Linux is excellent, even better than Windows one (you can create partition bigger then what ms will allow, etc.).

NTFS: there is some write support (writing over a file of the same size, no creation of files or directories, etc.) but I suggest you don't even try it.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Whoa! Back up there. Writing to an NTFS partition in Linux is very experimental and therefore not at all recommended. You could seriously screw up your Windows partition if you go any further. If you need read/write access to a drive from both OSes, I suggest creating a FAT32 partition or installing a tool to read EXT2FS on the MS Windows side.
    Wait..... you want me to format windows again and this time put it in FAT32, and remount windows. OOOOk.. I wish someone would have told me not to use NTFS yesterday. ******* IT HELL!! DELETE THE PARTITION!!!! RELOAD WINDOWS RELOAD SP2 CREATE THE ******* SYMBOLIC LINK TO C: AGAIN!!!!
    I was so close and gotta start from scratch!!!!

Wait..... you want me to format windows again and this time put it in FAT32, and remount windows. OOOOk.. I wish someone would have told me not to use NTFS yesterday. ******* IT HELL!! DELETE THE PARTITION!!!! RELOAD WINDOWS RELOAD SP2 CREATE THE ******* SYMBOLIC LINK TO C: AGAIN!!!!
    I was so close and gotta start from scratch!!!!
    At this point might it not be better just to declare XP your game OS and dual-boot for everything else?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

At this point might it not be better just to declare XP your game OS and dual-boot for everything else?
    Very wise indead. That's probably the least painful way to play games.

I never tryed Cedega myself but I know Wine (even for older games) is not perfect and each and every games installation is a challenge.

Using Wine is ok, I use it some apps for which I cannot find a good linux-based equivalent (like DVD Shrink for instance).

But I know a guy that digs Wine for games:
    http://frankscorner.org/
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast