Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Basically I had trouble with registering here at linux forums, I don't know if it was a slow server or what. But anyways on with the show. I'm new to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Using my Suse 10.1 and WINE for my gaming needs...

Basically I had trouble with registering here at linux forums, I don't know if it was a slow server or what. But anyways on with the show.

I'm new to Linux the O/s. I got bored of Windows and hearing about Vista was pissing me off, I want an Alternative to Windows. So I though FREE O/Ss' and thought of linux. For the past 2 days I've been playing with linux.

Well...
    I am using SuSe 10.1 as my O/s on a asus a7v133-c with Athlon T-bird 700Mhz, 384MBs of pc100 sdram, radeon 7500 128MB, 3com network card, yamaha sound card, 2.5 Hitachi 40GB drive and a 3.5 WD 40GB drive. This is my experimental setup.

My gaming rig consist of an asus a7v8x-e deluxe with an Athlon Xp 2500+ Mobile OC 2.2ghz, 2GB of Corsair Ram DDR 3200, Nvidia 6800NU 128MB, Audigy 2 sound card, TWO Maxtor 10 series drive 200GB and 80GB, ASUS DVD-Rom, and Netgear Wifi.

Since I am not stupid to format Win Xp on my gaming rig, what I was thinking of was to pull the Two 40Gig Drives from my experimental setup and test it on my rig.

So if you're wondering why I posted in WINE forums. is because I want to use WINE for my gaming needs.
    I want to format one and install SuSe 10.1 KDE on it, and install windows on the other. I want WINE to use my windows drive and it directories for all of the native files that are used to run windows programs like BF2, DOD:S, Trillian and stuff like that.

Is it possible to use the windows infrastructure on one the drive and WINE to run Games on Linux or does WINE act like a interpreter for linux. Because it seems like WINE just drops a few fake directories with DLL/EXE/COM Files to fool the installer of the program. Seeing as all the runtime libaries and native windows files are on one of the hard-drives, why would it not work. I mean it just excuting all the files including DirectX libraries from that drive to linux.

There was a website *I don't remember where I found it* that said I could excute .exe from the native windows hard-drive through WINE, and WINE would take care of the rest.

Workable or just one BIG FAT LIE!!!!!!

~Mp

Wow that sounds terrific!

Why don't you just try it?
    You can make a symlink to your windows hard drive.

Just backup the drive_c of WINE, and then make a symlink directing to your windows hard drive instead.

It's easy to test... but I doubt it will work just like that. Maybe with a little tweaking here and there...

Probably you'll have to edit and change some things with the little config files in the main WINE directory. I mean those files: system.reg userdef.reg user.reg
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

You may find that SuSE 10.1 isnt the greatest for gaming. The problem is the new cd auto loader. It causes a lot of problems for games that check to see if there is a cd in the drive. I curently use suse 10.0 because of this problem.
    Not only dose wine have a problem , but cedega has a problem as well. The reason is that in suse 10.0 the cd is mounter as /media/cdrom while in 10.1 the cd is mounted at /media/TheCD'sName and its diffrent for each cd.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I just tryed it.

Made a archived copy of ~/.wine/drive_c
    Code:
    cp -a ~/.wine/drive_c ~/backup/
    Then deleted it:
    Code:
    rm -r ~/.wine/drive_c
    Then mounted my windows drive:
    Code:
    mount -t vfat -o umask=0000,user /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows
    You may want to mount the Windows partition READ-ONLY, in case WINE attemps to change something to your windows registery.

Then made the symlink for wine to use as main drive:
    Code:
    ln -s /mnt/windows ~/.wine/drive_c
    And it works! So far I tryed DVD Shrink, which I had on my Windows partition. Works flawlessly in Debian. Good idea, "Mad Professor"
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

I don't know what you posted but I can translate it in terms of windows language. I was going to use WINECFG and make C: to the directory of C: in the WINDrive but seeing as this is linux I will have to learn how it actually works. I want to make a step in the linux world and give people a choice of an O/S and instead of being forced to use Windows. *real reason I don't want to buy vista I like Free O/S that have flexibility *

I hope you guys can help me, Because I really don't know what I'm doing in linux. So in a few hours I will be back online through SuSe, I have to wipe the two 40gigers and start from scratch.

Edit: actually I'll just whip out my 266 Laptop with Windows XP

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Professor
    I don't know what you posted but I can translate it in terms of windows language. I was going to use WINECFG and make C: to the directory of C: in the WINDrive
    True, that can work as well. Perhaps simpler too.

-Bruce Lee

ok I'm on my laptop. I'm only using 1 hard-drive for my gaming rig, since I didn't have a 41pin ide to laptop drive convertor. New Ide cables and drives use 41 pins my convertor has 42 on the ide part. So I'm using my WD 40gig. I've installed windows xp dividing the drive in to 2 parts 20GB for Win and 20GB for Lin. First I only updated Xp to SP2 I stop there, I didn't install drivers for my Win. I am curently in SuSe Installation screen at the partitioning part.

This is what SuSe wants to do with my Hard-drive.
    *Create extended partition /dev/hda2 (18.6 GB)
    *Create swap partition /dev/hda5 (2.0 GB)
    *Create root partition /dev/hda6 (6.8 GB) with reiserfs
    *Create partition /dev/hda7 (9.7 GB) for /home with reiserfs
    *Set mount point of /dev/hda1 to /windows/c

Should I change anything so I don't corrupt/overlap my Win installation???

Ok my SuSe and windows are working. First off I need to get my Chipset and Graphics drivers for SuSE. Any special instructions????

I don't know how to install drivers on linux?? Any help is appreciated..

Thanks
    ~Mp

I'm getting a little pissed off here, since no one will respond to my post.

Anyways I got wine installed but I manage to screw wine up so now it doesn't have a C drive. and I can't create one. Someone help please!!!!

Edit: I fixed Wine, I recommend doing what antidrugue does. It will use the windows folder if you install the program of choice through windows. My objective is to attempt to install the program of choice through linux to windows C: Drive or to /home on linux. Right now I have a bit of a problem inorder to install "Program of choice" Wine needs Profiles in .wine/drive_C/Windows/
    The Windrive does not have these because profiles are Document and settings in windows.
    Wine is trying to write to
    C:\windows\root\profiles\desktop
    C:\windows\root\profiles\My Documents
    C:\windows\root\profiles\My Pictures
    C:\windows\root\profiles\My Music
    C:\windows\root\profiles\My Videos

There others like local settings and application data.

I also need to get wine.inf to inf folder in c:\windows, and the "command" folder from wine to C:windows
    I think thats about it. But the problem I am having is that I can not copy and paste the folder/files from .wine/drive_c/windows to /windows/C for some reason, I've tried to set the permissions for /windows/C but it refuses.
    Can someone please tell me how to get around this problem...

Probably it has something to do with the way you mounted your Windows drive. Which filesystem is it? FAT32? NTFS?

As for your graphic card, what's the exact model of it?

For NVIDIA cards, personnaly I like techieMoe's how-to:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...d-drivers.html

Or there is this one (which I haven't tryed), Suse specific:
    http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-...ler-HOWTO.html

For ATI cards, there is this how-to:
    http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/ati-installer-HOWTO.html

Or this one:
    http://linux.wordpress.com/2006/05/1...-installation/

-Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast