Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, So I have successfully installed wine into my distro (Xandros 3.0.2). Attempting to follow the tutorial to convert any of the Macromedia Studio 8 apps to work on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question wine & linux noob.. small problem

Hi there,

So I have successfully installed wine into my distro (Xandros 3.0.2). Attempting to follow the tutorial to convert any of the Macromedia Studio 8 apps to work on wine from here

http://bkcreation.info/Blog_Macromedia8OnWine.html

The last step is somewhat confusing to me. It says;

- then export the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Macromedia/ key from your registry on windows XP ( "regedit" in execute ) and convert it to ascii using "$ recode ucs-2..ascii yourfile.reg" and run it in wine with "$ wine regedit yourfile.reg"
    So I exported the registry key, left it in its form (.reg extension), and copied it over to my linux directory. Went to CLI and put in the "recode" command, however Linux has no "recode" command. What do you suppose this guy is trying to say to do here?

*p.s.- I'm still a linux noob as well

Got it to read as an ascii file now. Had to do some CLI trickery that is very new to me. I commented on the guys blog since now it presents a new problem. If anyone is interested in getting a run down on how to do this (with better english), just let me know and I will post it in this thread.

Just Joined!
    hey seopdx,

i love your article on the great windows escape "It’s not Microsoft. That in itself is a great reason." that say's it all

i was wondering if you were still intrested in posting the how to guide for marcomedia (im going to need it for uni)

do you mind if i add this to my sig? "It’s not Microsoft. That in itself is a great reason."