Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to get google talk working in Wine, but some of the text seems to be transparent or something. Has anybody else had this problem? or with any other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Google Talk on Wine

I'm trying to get google talk working in Wine, but some of the text seems to be transparent or something. Has anybody else had this problem? or with any other applications? Here's what it looks like right now.

I'm using Wine 0.9.8 from portage

Why install Google Talk? You can use other clients to connect to the Google Talk network (as it uses Jabber) :
    http://www.google.com/talk/otherclients.html

For example, Gaim works very nicely :
    http://www.google.com/support/talk/b...y?answer=24073
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Linux Newbie
    I'm using gaim to connect to google talk right now, and indeed it does work very nicely, but it doesn't support the voice features.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    take a look at this thread on gentoo forums about gaim and google talk
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Newbie
    I'm using gaim 2.0 beta on windows alongside google talk, because gaim still doesn't support voice yet. The gaim-vv website does say that they're trying to merge with the gaim 2.x code, but the latest news was from oct. 7, 2005.

Also, from the gaim site:
    Quote Originally Posted by the gaim website
    Gaim 2.0.0 beta 2 does not include voice or video ("vv") support for any protocols. We've done some work toward vv compatibility for Google Talk, but it isn't ready for the general public yet. It is unlikely this will change for the final release of Gaim 2.0.0, but vv will be a primary focus for the next major release of Gaim after that.

Just Joined!
    I'm having this same issue. I need to be able to use gtalk's voicechat function from my current install of xubuntu, and it seems that presently, wine is the only choice. I am, however, a wine noob, and am trying to learn how to use it correctly. Can anyone provide any assistance or suggestions ?

What an awful experience.

On a whim, I decided to download google-talk and give it a whirl under wine 0.9.17. It installed very nicely until I got that popup box pictured in the lead post. But mine doesn't even show the logo--it's all white except for the two boxes (apparently for username and password) and some checkbox. I had to kill it to get rid of it. Worse, everytime I run wineboot now it pops up again. I may have to go in manually to delete it.

well im using gaim for yahoo,msn,irc and (thanks to antidrugue)jabber too

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

U can easily sign in with yr gmail account using gaim program just
    go to :
    http://www.google.com/support/talk/b...y?answer=24073