Find the answer to your Linux question:
I get this error in WINE: err 11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found! (XRandR) It appears as though the application is attempting to change the resolution. Is there a command line ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

WINE Error

I get this error in WINE:

err11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found! (XRandR)

It appears as though the application is attempting to change the resolution. Is there a command line argument to force a window or anything else for this?

Thank you.

You should have a couple of options here. First, if you run winecfg from a terminal, you can pick the application that's giving you trouble, then go into the Graphics tab, and check the box for a virtual desktop. That will open up the text boxes for you to specify a resolution, and then when you run that program, it will run in a window with that resolution (it's like an emulated desktop in which the Windows environment runs). If you do this, be sure to specify the biggest resolution that the program will need. The caveat to this approach is that in one or two recent version of wine, the virtual desktop option was disabled. You'll have to check it out to see if it works.

The other option is to modify your X config file (/etc/X11/XF86Config or /etc/X11/xorg.conf) to include extra resolutions that full-screen programs might want to use. The problem you're having comes from the program wanting to change to a resolution that the X server doesn't support, so this fix adds support for the needed resolutions. Usually adding 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768 is good enough for Windows apps. If you run emulators for Dos, Atari, and/or Commodore (and perhaps others), you'll also want 320x240 and 320x200.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!
    Thank you, I think this will work. I'll try it tonight. Thanks again!

Just Joined!
    It nearly worked, but once the emulated window popped up I was able to read another error. The app tried to change the window to 16bit color. Wine refused to do this. Any suggestions whilest I dig about in the mans et al?

Just Joined!
    It worked! After I changed the xconfig file to 16bit color depth I was good to go. Now I have to figure our why 16bit color depth messes up my shutdown window (the only option is hibernate and that one doesn't work). Strange. Thanks!