Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all- I recently installed Wine on my laptop (Averatec 3250, 1.67GHz AMD Athlon XP-M, 1GB RAM, 60 GB HDD) which dual boots FC4 and WinXP...the installation seemed to go ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry IOPL not enabled

Hi all-

I recently installed Wine on my laptop (Averatec 3250, 1.67GHz AMD Athlon XP-M, 1GB RAM, 60 GB HDD) which dual boots FC4 and WinXP...the installation seemed to go flawlessly, but when I try to run any of MS Office 2003 with wine, I get a little error window that says only "IOPL not enabled"...

Anyone else had this problem? It's not because I'm using XP dll's is it? Do I need win 98/2000/NT dll's for wine to work properly?

I'd really like to get wine working, so I can ditch windoze ex-pee and devote my whole laptop to linux...any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Cheers!

Just Joined!
    wine does not require XP's dlls.

i am not exactly sure, but programs from microsoft usually dont run on wine, cause it somehow needs explorer.exe to run, which is obviously not supported by wine. (explorer.exe is one of the core parts of windows)

if you want to open microsoft office files, you can use OpenOffice. now most distros include openoffice now. i'm using UBUNTU 6.06. not all programs for windows are currently supported by wine. since its not a game and it doesnt run on wine, you usually have to look for linux-native alternative program that does the same thing.

hope this helps. btw i didnt need to try to make wine work in order to switch to linux completely. serious.

Just Joined!

Wineprefix

This may be too late for you but I figured I'd post just in case anyone else runs into the problem and finds this thread. I had WINWORD.EXE working in wine. When I came back after being gone 2 weeks I was getting the same error. It ended up being my WINEPREFIX was set wrong. Probably not the only cause of this error but it was mine. Once I fixed that, winword launched.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    hmmmm, OK at least it's a starting point for me (never figured out why winword.exe wouldn't launch)! So what is the wineprefix and how did you change it?

Thanks!