Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
im new on linux an i have yust installed fc4.I have installed wine but i dont know how to use it.can i play games from widows on linux whit wine? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

how to use wine?

im new on linux an i have yust installed fc4.I have installed wine but i dont know how to use it.can i play games from widows on linux whit wine?
    can anybody give me instructions or guide for how to use wine?i need guide whit pictures and it must not be se complicated because my english is not so good

Smile

hi jan1024188 !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jan1024188
    im new on linux an i have yust installed fc4.I have installed wine but i dont know how to use it.can i play games from widows on linux whit wine?
    list of games : check this site ...
    http://frankscorner.org/

Wine can be run like any other X program: you can run it from the command line:

% wine sol

or you can put it in a menu, or launch it from a file manager. When launched, programs run and act as if they were running under Windows. By default, applications come up in a special kind of window that looks very much like those provided by Windows instead of looking like other X windows. It looks as if a normal Windows window popped up in the middle of all your X windows, because your window manager doesn't put a standard "frame" on the window. Unfortunately, those windows do not interact well with virtual window managers like fvwm (they don't go away when you switch to another virtual screen), so there is an option to bring up an X window that contains the application window, and this is well-behaved with virtual window managers.

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

i tried to run win with %wine sol command

[jan@localhost ~]$ % wine sol
    bash: fg: %: no such job

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    in my sistem tools menu is wine configuration application.is that the right hing or what?

Quote Originally Posted by jan1024188
    i tried to run win with %wine sol command

[jan@localhost ~]$ % wine sol
    bash: fg: %: no such job
    You don't need to type the "%" symbol, that was just Casper's command prompt. In general, you just open a terminal, navigate to the directory where the Windows program is, then type wine and the name of the windows program, like this:
    Code:
    $ cd ~/windows/quibbles
    $ wine qrace.exe
    Or you can just type wine and then give the full path to the Windows program:
    Code:
    $ wine ~/windows/quibbles/qrace.exe
    Again, note that the "$" symbol is the command prompt; you don't need to type that. Your terminal already shows it.

If you're using a full-featured desktop environment like KDE or Gnome, your file manager might give you the option of opening a file with wine. That would be an easy way to run Windows programs from a GUI.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

what about if i have exe file in foleder /programfiles/xxxx

i have to write then wine ~/programfiles/xxxx?

tell me more

is that right?

Yes. You just need to type wine and then the file name, using either a relative path or an absolute path. So with the Microsoft Visio install CD in my CD-ROM drive, I can do any of the following to install it:
    Code:
    $ wine /media/cdrom/english/office_system/visio2003/setup.exe

$ cd /media/cdrom/english/office_system/visio2003
    $ wine setup.exe

$ cd /media/cdrom/english/office_system/visio2003/files/setup
    $ wine ../../setup.exe

$ cd /media/cdrom/english/office_system
    $ wine visio2003/setup.exe
    Programs that get installed to the disk are placed in ~/.wine/drive_c, so after you've run the installer, look there for the program's directory. Also remember when using paths that wine or Windows programs have created, folder and file names may contain spaces, and you'll need to use quotes or escape characters when using those names in Linux.

[For the record, Visio 2003 does not install with the current version of wine.]
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

wine

i have installed the punisher in wine.can i play this game in linux now whit wine?how?

i went in windows but there is no punisher installed on dick c.i come back in linux and punisher is still there.why cant i see punisher in windows?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast