Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sorry if the thread title was a bit misleading. I don't mean running multiple apps at the same time, but one after another. Let me explain a little better. First, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Running/Installing More Than One App

Sorry if the thread title was a bit misleading. I don't mean running multiple apps at the same time, but one after another. Let me explain a little better. First, when I have a newly installed system and no .wine directory, to run a program I just go:

Code:
    wine program.exe
    It creates the .wine directory, I install the program and everything works fine. Now, when I want to run another program the same way, it gives me an error saying it can't find the file. I tried doing wine ./program2.exe or even typing ~/windowsapps/program2.exe but it does not work. I have only found two workarounds for this:

One is to delete the .wine directory, so when I try running another program all goes as planned. Obviously this is a stupid solution.

The second one is to move the second program to the drive_c folder and run it like this:

Code:
    wine C:/program2.exe
    However, I always thought that I could just do "wine whateverprogram.exe" and it would run whatever program that has name in the current directory. It works for the first program, but not after all the programs I try to run after that.

My question is, does anyone know how to get wine to accept the command "wine program.exe" for all programs, and not just the first one? I guess I could put all my windows apps on the drive_c folder in .wine, but I would prefer to have them outside.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure, but I think there has to be a way for "windows" to see the file you are trying to execute. Type the command:
    ls -l ~/.wine/dosdevices/

and you should see
    lrwxrwxrwx ... c: -> ../drive_c

So any file you have in drive_c or a subdirectory can be seen by wine. If you don't already have a path to your home directory, try these commands:

cd ~/wine/dosdevices
    ln -s ~/ h:

Then any file in any subdirectory can be found via a Windows subdirectory of drive h.

You can also put additional directories on your windows PATH environment variable by editing ~/.wine/system.reg
    [System\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Session Manager\\Environment] PATH

Just Joined!
    Thanks KenJackson, it worked!!. I believe that the reason for this is that by default, wine makes a drive z: which links to (/), which means that any .exe in the whole filesystem would get seen. On the other hand, I always deleted this virtual drive because I didn't want wine messing with the whole filesystem, but I guess I was wrong. At least, I will now just map it to my user directory in /home.

Thanks for your help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close