Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Can't install WINE on Suse v10. It says that there is a file missing. Tried the script version also, but because i am new to linux i can't get this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Error installing

Can't install WINE on Suse v10. It says that there is a file missing. Tried the script version also, but because i am new to linux i can't get this to work.

Any suggestions how to get it to work??

Thanks Seb

What file did it say is missing?

Just Joined!
    When installing with YaST it says that "ERROR. The following packages havn't been found on the meduim: winewine"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    That looks like an error specific to some script in that particular build. I've never used SUSE, but I understant that YaST is just a user-friendly interface to the rpm command. It might be worthwhile to download the rpm file and run this command (substituting the filename if different):
    Code:
    # rpm -ihv wine-0.9.18-SuSELinux101.i586.rpm
    Or maybe use '-ivv' instead of '-ihv'. The 'h' gives you hash marks so you don't think it's stuck, 'v' gives some verbose information, and 'vv' gives more verbose information.

Also, the command
    $ rpm -qp --scripts rpmfile
    will print out the scripts that are run during installation and uninstallation, without actually doing anything.

Just Joined!
    I tried the code you gave me and it came up with this error.
    file /usr/share/man/man1/winebuild.1.gz from install of wine-0.9.18-0.1 conflicts with file from package wine-20050725-3
    file /usr/share/man/man1/winedbg.1.gz from install of wine-0.9.18-0.1 conflicts with file from package wine-20050725-3
    file /usr/share/man/man1/winedump.1.gz from install of wine-0.9.18-0.1 conflicts with file from package wine-20050725-3
    file /usr/share/man/man1/winegcc.1.gz from install of wine-0.9.18-0.1 conflicts with file from package wine-20050725-3
    file /usr/share/man/man1/winemaker.1.gz from install of wine-0.9.18-0.1 conflicts with file from package wine-20050725-3
    file /usr/share/man/man1/wmc.1.gz from install of wine-0.9.18-0.1 conflicts with file from package wine-20050725-3
    file /usr/share/man/man1/wrc.1.gz from install of wine-0.9.18-0.1 conflicts with file from package wine-20050725-3
    file /usr/share/wine/wine.inf from install of wine-0.9.18-0.1 conflicts with file from package wine-20050725-3

I don't think i have another version of wine installed so i'm not to sure what its conflicting with?

Apparently the rpm database thinks you have wine installed. Try this:
    $ rpm -qa wine\*

That will show you every package in your rpm database that starts with 'wine'. It takes several seconds to search. If you do have one installed, you can uninstall (erase) it with this:
    # rpm -e wine

or maybe this will be required:
    # rpm -e wine-20050725-3

If you think the database is wrong, this command may fix it, although I've never tried it:
    # rpm --rebuilddb

Just Joined!
    thanks I did what you said and deleted the other package. I then ran the command and it came up with this.

hall:/home/anyone/Wine # rpm -ihv wine-0.9.18-SuSELinux100.i586.rpm
    warning: wine-0.9.18-SuSELinux100.i586.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 0175623e
    Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
    1:wine ########################################### [100%]
    hall:/home/anyone/Wine #

Is there anything else i need to do, is it installed?

As a normal user (not root) run
    $ wineprefixcreate

That will create a directory, ~/.wine, and put a few things in it, including a subdirectory named drive_c. This is your "fake C drive" which Windows applications will see when they run.

If you have a Windows application installation file, say setup.exe, you can run this command, which will popup the Windows dialogs just like on Windows and install it (under drive_c):
    $ wine setup.exe

This command gives you a little control over your configuration of Wine:
    $ winecfg

Just Joined!
    Tried to do wineprefixcreate but it came up with this

anyone@hall:~> wineprefixcreate
    /usr/bin/wineprefixcreate: line 198: 13468 Segmentation fault "${WINELOADER:-$bindir/wine}" rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 wine.inf

And i couldn't find a directorie for wine or the fake c drive

Hmm. That's about the last step of the script. I think it's creating default registry files. It should have already created your fake drive C:. Try this:
    $ ls -la ~/.wine

I think I would first try to delete it and do it again:
    $ rm -rf ~/.wine
    $ wineprefixcreate

If it fails again, verify the RPM installation:
    $ rpm -V wine
    or verbosely, if you want:
    $ rpm -Vv wine

If the non-verbose command returns anything at all, it may be a problem with the installation. But if it's OK, see if you have an old 'wine' command somewhere:
    $ type wine

Compare that output with this, they should be the same. If not, delete the one above:
    $ rpm -ql wine | grep 'bin/wine$'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast