Find the answer to your Linux question:
okay.. so, i guess i'll start another thread... was just trying to avoid redundant topics... one can never win, eh? anyway-- KenJackson mentioned a script which he claimed installs IE ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HELP installing ie

okay.. so, i guess i'll start another thread... was just trying to avoid redundant topics... one can never win, eh?

anyway-- KenJackson mentioned a script which he claimed installs IE automatically.

KJ, is this what you were talking about?: http://bylands.dur.ac.uk/~mh/wine-ie/
    if yes, look closer-- that's too dated for you most likely. also had no luck w/ the script which that guy ref'd. so far, best i've found is this guide-- i think i almost had it, but i zigged when i shoulda zagged somewhere... and just didn't have time to start over... haven't got back to it-- but check this one:
    http://patrick.spacesurfer.com/ie_wine_install.html

according to the date, it should be current enough.

my philosophy on learning doesn't really provide reason to turn away or scorn someone who's trying to learn something-- so, it doesn't matter to me what you want to do w/ it once you get it in there-- but i'm glad to help if i can.

While I agree the other thread was far too old and cluttered, I'm not sure why the big over-reaction to this notion. IMHO the best place in the world to run IE is in a self-contained, "disposable" thing like a wine session. Let the viruses and spyware come on - you can test things in IE in a safe place. I wouldn't *use* IE in that sense, ever, but I think having the Linux/wine environment to run (unfortunately) very popular Windows apps is a win/win(pun intended).

I just started IE here in Linux, and it works fine, not slow at all. I would try cxoffice.

DT

Just Joined!

automatically run ie from linux

Hi, I recently needed to run flash from windows, as flash 8 isn't out for linux. I found that if I ran wine from the command line once, which created a .wine config directory/file, I could open window's firefox within my linux partition by running a file manager like krusader, then go into /mnt/win_c/ and track down the executable file for firefox, then double click it. Firefox for windows opened up and had window's flash capability. I assume the same would work in clicking ie.exe in your windows partition.

Linux User
    I use IE4Linux which downloads and install ie6 (and 5/5.5 if you want) from a script.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by DThor
    the other thread was far too old and cluttered, I'm not sure why the big over-reaction to this notion
    (that darn horse twitched, so figured i'd beat 'm dead a little more.. hee hee) but, yes-- this was probably my deciding factor for posting there. having ref'd this forum numerous times for other issues, i actually felt "embarassed" landing on that discussion which, in my opinion, was a poor reflection on the forum, and certainly of little educational value-- especially for someone who's inquiry was, in so many words, "how do i do this?". i think it's safe to say that probably anyone who has extended himself to install linux is probably well aware of anything to be learned there. what's the point in preaching to the choir?

since a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, my ultimate hope for continuing that thread, was for anyone else who might stumble upon it as did i, that they might find something meaningful there (i'm sure we've all read threads of which the first page or two are not part of the real crux of discussion... sometimes it takes a while to get going); that perhaps some useful discussion might have ensued on the topic of ie installation Technique-- considering i used keyword terms targeting just that-- how to install iE (having no interest in discussion over philosophy)
    and finally, since the debate over IE-on-linux philosophy has no dependency on chronology, i saw additional reason NOT to create a redundant thread-- all w/ thought of S.E.O. stuff in mind, and a positive outlook re: the integrity of this forum. and ...

all of that, of course, happened w/in a split second of thought-- so, agreed, i didn't expect the hubbub. okay, now that i've cleared that up (jeesh, what a true waste of our time that was, eh?!)...

thanks for the help.
    i'm glad to hear some positive feedback on this WINE / iE thing-- not sure why it's causing me such a problem, but i'll definitely check out the resources listed above. thanks again.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkrose0510
    I use IE4Linux which downloads and install ie6 (and 5/5.5 if you want) from a script.
    holy krap! that was about as easy as changing a repo, if not easier!... and it works!!!... and the guy doesn't even mention pay-pal... (although he is looking for translators)

where were you earlier, darkrose!?!?

rock n roll. chalk one up for that script for sure!
    see-- i'm easy to please

Yeah, IEs4Linux was the script I referenced in the abrupty-closed thread. Like I said, I had difficulty with it a while ago, but it has been updated since then. I've been meaning to get back to it, but haven't. I am very pleased to hear of your success.

I have questions for you jsabarese and darkrose0510. I already have a number of installed Windows applications that I really don't want to mess with. Are they kept separate? The FAQ over at IEs4Linux says
    Why canít I install IE to my default dot-wine folder?

Because IEs4Linux uses specifics registry files configured specially to each IE installation. If we put this files to your dot-wine folder, we can break some of your installed softwares.
    So that seems to answer my question. Have you found the regular Wine and IEs4Linux Wine to be sufficiently separated?

But now, if they are separated, how can I use IE to install Windows applications that need IE to run the installer? For example, Microchip's MPLAB. It won't install under Wine because I don't have IE. But if IE is separate, how will the MPLAB installer find it?

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabarese
    holy krap! that was about as easy as changing a repo, if not easier!... and it works!!!... and the guy doesn't even mention pay-pal... (although he is looking for translators)

where were you earlier, darkrose!?!?

rock n roll. chalk one up for that script for sure!
    see-- i'm easy to please
    Glad to be of assistance

Quote Originally Posted by KenJackson
    Are they kept separate? ... Have you found the regular Wine and IEs4Linux Wine to be sufficiently separated?

But now, if they are separated, how can I use IE to install Windows applications that need IE to run the installer? For example, Microchip's MPLAB. It won't install under Wine because I don't have IE. But if IE is separate, how will the MPLAB installer find it?
    Let me answer my own question. Yes, they are very separated. IEs4Linux does an excellent job of setting up it's own directory and Wine environments so they don't pollute my regular Wine environment.

But my fear is confirmed--that separation means MPLAB 7.31 still fails to install, complaining "Internet Explorer 5 or greater needs to be installed for this installation to continue."

I'm guessing I could successfully install it using one of the drive_c directories under .ies4linux as a prefix. But I'm keeping that as an option to be tried at some later time.