Find the answer to your Linux question:
First of all, I am a linux newbie (been running suse 10.1 for about 2 weeks). I'm trying to get Steam running on Wine, and I have installed wine correctly, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Steam on Wine?

First of all, I am a linux newbie (been running suse 10.1 for about 2 weeks). I'm trying to get Steam running on Wine, and I have installed wine correctly, I think. Steam installs fine, but then when it launches, there is no text in the buttons, also it says that HTML Rendering is disabled in the lincense agreement box. I got tahoma.ttf off a windows machine and put it in my .wine/drive_c/windows/fonts folder, but it still doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Just Joined!
    You need the Tahoma font, which Steam uses. Google, "ttf:tahoma" and I believe it is the first result. Download that and put it in your fake windows/fonts folder. That should solve it.

Just Joined!
    Ok, the fonts work now, thanks a lot, but when I get to the liscense agreement, it is just a white box that says HTML rendering is disabled and it will not let me continue. So, What do I do now?

Try installing Internet Explorer through wine
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    Installing IE6 didn't work so I'll just create an account on a windows machine and try to log in on my linux machine later.

If it is an option for you, Steam works almost perfectly under Cedega.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    I am having the same issue with the error "HTML rendering diabled". This comes up during the gecko installer phase of steam being installed.

I have experienced this on 2 different OSs Ubuntu 6.06 and Fedora Core 5.

Any thoughts?

Just Joined!
    you MUST have IE6 for steam to run properly, i have had steam on wine and playd CS for a year like this, get wine tool and be done with it, it has a GUI for installing ready to run applications for new users

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the tip, but I have already went that route. Wine tools is installed and everything else that WineHQ said. Still no dice.

Just Joined!
    Ok so i got a Steam account off a windows machine, and now I'm trying to install CS 1.6 and CS:CZ from CD. So I go to the CD in a Konsole session and "wine Setup.exe" then all goes well until it tries to install Condition Zero: deleted scenes.gcf at that point, the konsole gives me endless errors saying "err:cabinet:fdi_decomp PFDI_OPEN returned zero for cstrike2.cab. Anyone have any suggestions?