Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: Steam on Wine?

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Steam on Wine?

First of all, I am a linux newbie (been running suse 10.1 for about 2 weeks). I'm trying to get Steam running on Wine, and I have installed wine correctly, I think. Steam installs fine, but then when it launches, there is no text in the buttons, also it says that HTML Rendering is disabled in the lincense agreement box. I got tahoma.ttf off a windows machine and put it in my .wine/drive_c/windows/fonts folder, but it still doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated

You need the Tahoma font, which Steam uses. Google, "ttf:tahoma" and I believe it is the first result. Download that and put it in your fake windows/fonts folder. That should solve it.

Ok, the fonts work now, thanks a lot, but when I get to the liscense agreement, it is just a white box that says HTML rendering is disabled and it will not let me continue. So, What do I do now?

4. $spacer_open
    Try installing Internet Explorer through wine
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Installing IE6 didn't work so I'll just create an account on a windows machine and try to log in on my linux machine later.

The Sovereign State of South Carolina
    If it is an option for you, Steam works almost perfectly under Cedega.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    I am having the same issue with the error "HTML rendering diabled". This comes up during the gecko installer phase of steam being installed.

I have experienced this on 2 different OSs Ubuntu 6.06 and Fedora Core 5.

Any thoughts?

you MUST have IE6 for steam to run properly, i have had steam on wine and playd CS for a year like this, get wine tool and be done with it, it has a GUI for installing ready to run applications for new users

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the tip, but I have already went that route. Wine tools is installed and everything else that WineHQ said. Still no dice.

Ok so i got a Steam account off a windows machine, and now I'm trying to install CS 1.6 and CS:CZ from CD. So I go to the CD in a Konsole session and "wine Setup.exe" then all goes well until it tries to install Condition Zero: deleted scenes.gcf at that point, the konsole gives me endless errors saying "err:cabinet:fdi_decomp PFDI_OPEN returned zero for Anyone have any suggestions?