Find the answer to your Linux question:
Wine crashes every time i try to browse root with a windows app. This happends in every program emulated in wine. Also, I accidentally deleted wine folder from the menu. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wine Crashes

Wine crashes every time i try to browse root with a windows app.
    This happends in every program emulated in wine.

Also, I accidentally deleted wine folder from the menu. How can i revert it?

Talking well...

you'll have to re download it. srry. o i have a question, why are you usig wine?, i mean for what purpose? because im tring to run aoe on wine too, and when the game loads, it asks me if i want to download directx, becaise it hasent detected it already installed. i really nedd a binary patch, but i cant find one, all i can find is a source-code patch. please help me

:smoker: :drown: :bananna:

I'm using wine for Macromedia Flash and Dreamweaver. Are you sure about reinstalling it, i mean i just installed it? (btw, that menu thing is not such a problem, i can resist it without reinstalling)

I suggest using cedega for that, i tryed to play aoe2 but i didn't load for me either.

are you trying to browse the root (administrator) account folder ( /root ) or the filesystem tree ( / ) ?

about deleting you mentioned, was it the .wine folder in your home directory or the menu item created by wine? what graphical environment are you using?
    All Empires rise and fall. The Microsoft Empire has already risen, only one way to go now...

By root i mean the root folder("/"), so basically i can't access any files exept the virtual C drive made by wine.

I deleted just the wine folder from kde.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Stan
    By root i mean the root folder("/"), so basically i can't access any files exept the virtual C drive made by wine.
    open a terminal and type:

winecfg

select the "Drives" tab. There you will see a list of folder that wine will make windows application "see" when browing locations. click on the "Autodetect" button and that should set everything up. if not then add the / folder manualy.
    when browsing throgh folders in your emulated windows program, the folders that you just added will apear as windows drive letters.

I deleted just the wine folder from kde.
    then you dont need to reinstall wine , just make a new kde menu entry.
    click on the kde launch button and then right-click anywhere in the launch menu and select "Edit this item" from the drop-down that appears.
    navigate to where you want your program launcher, and at the top of the windows click on "Add new item" (or something like that ).
    you will be given a dialog window on your right. enter the program name in the first field,a nd then go the the "command" field.
    here you must type something like this:

wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/prgm-name-here/exe-file-here.exe

if you dont want to type it out yourself then click on the "Browse" button and navigate to the appropriate .exe file.
    dont forget that "wine" must be at the beggining of the command.

hope that helps!
    All Empires rise and fall. The Microsoft Empire has already risen, only one way to go now...

Yeah i went in the drives tab before.
    I autodetected the drives, root was there. I had root there before. But still when i try to access root folder the windows application freezes(+ all other wine related applications, even winecfg).

Should i reinstall it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Stan
    Yeah i went in the drives tab before.
    I autodetected the drives, root was there. I had root there before. But still when i try to access root folder the windows application freezes(+ all other wine related applications, even winecfg).

Should i reinstall it?

hm...you can try reinstalling wine, but its not guaranteed to fix your problem. if it is imperative to use those windows apps, you might consider getting crossover office