Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, i'm new to linux. i've spent the last couple of hours trying to get WINE to work (while simultaneously learning more about Linux) and i can't really get it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine won't work

hello, i'm new to linux. i've spent the last couple of hours trying to get WINE to work (while simultaneously learning more about Linux) and i can't really get it to work. i run Ubuntu and when i tried to use the terminal to install it, it didn't really work. i kept getting this error message:

WINE Installer v0.75

Running configure...

configure: creating cache config.cache
    checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
    checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
    checking for gcc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cl.exe... no
    configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
    See `config.log' for more details.

then i tried a new approach and tried installing it through the Synaptics Packet Manager. now when i type usr/bin/wine PROGRAM or wine program.exe it comes up with this message:

wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\PROGRAM.exe": Module not found

any help would be greatly appreciated. thansk before hand.

Wine can in some cases run Windows programs satisfactorily. In many cases however, wine will run Windows programs anywhere from marginally to not at all. What Windows program are you trying to run with wine? Chances are good there is a native Linux equivalent that will work even better.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    oh, i'm sorry - i forgot to clarify my problem . the first error i posted above was trying to install through the terminal. i used this tutorial: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...are-linux.html

i got to the part where the tutorial says ./config. when i typed that in i got the error posted above (or something similar). then i tried to type the ./tools/install that the WINE readme told me to type, and what you see above was the exact error message.

i then went back to the WINE website and went the way of the Synaptec Packet Manager. that worked at installing it, but now when i run it it doesn't do anything. i've been trying to run the wine.exe, which makes the screen blink once as if you're pulling up a program, but nothing comes up. i also tried to type usr/bin/wine PROGRAM and whatnot, but the other error message you see above is what i got.

i've now uninstalled WINE using the SPM. i think it's time to start over.

the weird thing is that i downloaded VLC media player using SPM and it worked perfectly fine. hmmmm...

anyways, thanks for your contribution. any more help is more than welcome.

edit: to answer your question, i'm trying to run Starcraft Broodwar, Fruity Loops Studio, and possibly the game FEAR.

Not sure about that error. Also, there should be a forward slash before usr/bin/wine, but you don't need to run it that way anyway since /usr/bin is already in your path. Just cd to the directory where the .exe is you want to run, then:
    Code:
    wine program.exe
    There is a wealth of info on the net already about running Starcraft with wine. I run it and Broodwar with Cedega and it runs almost perfectly.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Well, using synaptics package manager, mark the wine package for complete removal. then open up the console and type -

sudo apt-get install wine

to install. if there are any installation problems, it will tell you. to make wine the default program for .exe files, right click a .exe file and tell it to open with other application and then click the arrow to choose custom command, and in the box type wine.

transgaming and codeweavers have forked out and made their own specialized versions. for many office style applications(ms office, photoshop, etc), codeweaver's crossover office runs more effortlessly than wine does, and transgaming's cedega does the same for most games. many people can play startcraft and many others under wine, but for something like fear, it would probably be easier to get cedega. there are many tutorials at winehq.com

Just Joined!
    sweet! thanks guys.

i'll check out Cedega. it was actually something i ran across earlier today when i was browsing around.